Forum on Organic Aquaculture

We thought that this hotly-debated topic would benefit from a place on the web - a place to hear all sides of this important and quickly-expanding aspect of food provision.

NO COMMERCIAL POSTS

Forum on Organic Aquaculture
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
organic hydroponics

hello to all

can anyone explain why organic hydroponics is not
allowed to be certified in canada

yet we accept usa and mexico organic hydroponics
who is the brain behind this kind of rules

and is this another form of government interference and control over our farmers

may the fin force be with you
Tilly the tilapia

Re: organic hydroponics

Tilly
Actually Canada does not accept organic hydroponics into Canada as of June 30, 2009. It was one of the critical variances identified in the equivalency agreements. Refer to the answer to question 5 on Canada/US Equivalency Determination or Import/Export Agreements

Rochelle
Thank you for your reply

Do you no why is it that canada does not allow organic hydroponics or organic aquaponics and now another new term agroponics?

After asking the standards board for the reasoning behind this still have not recieved a answer.

Fish will be certified as organic but the effluent will not be organic [ eg.recycling system ]

Tilly

A few thoughts here, hydroponics and all the variations are considered not to align with organic principles. To the best of my knowledge the USA is the only country that currently allows by not explicitly prohibiting hydroponics, and for a fact not all US based Certification Bodies will certify hydroponic operations. And secondly there is nothing impeding the use of compliant fish effluent in organic crop growing systems, just there needs to be "soil" in the equation.

Hi Rochelle
And thanks for sharing your thoughts

Are you aware of a few very active groups comprising mainly of industry stakeholders whom have been working on having salmon ,sturgeon,and shellfish certified as organic?

And now the questions have arisen of having aquatic plants certified as organic.

Most aquatic plants grow in a sand base which is mainly inert.

Hydroponics can be done in a sand base ,peatbase and even heated and rolled clay pellets[leca]which is also inert.

A example of organic aquatic plants is kelp.The largest organic kelp producer in canada is not certified by canada. How did kelp become certified as organic when no other sea plant has been certified that I know of. This is a ocean product not land based

What is your thoughts on compliant fish effluent ,as I have not been able to find any code or regulations for compliance?

When agriculture is asked they say it is aquaculture,when aquaculture is asked they say it is
agriculture.
Have a great day
Tilly

kelp is allowable not certified

HI Tilly

Sorry for the delay in posting my response; I wrote one ages ago and posted it, but it seems it must not have loaded properly.

Yes I was aware the federal Department of Fisheries is working with industry stakeholders to develop species specific organic aquaculture standards for Canada.

And aquatic plants that are rooted in the ocean floor such as kelp are classified as ‘terrestrial’ life forms and will need to meet the Canada Organic Standard for crops. Up to 2009 to the best of my knowledge US standards have been used to certify kelp operators.

Fish effluent is not specifically listed in the Permitted Substance List, but there is allowance for “animal, animal products and by-products (including fishery)” to be used as compost feedstock; and the entry for “Fish Farm Waste” stipulates that it is allowed but it “shall be composted”. The listing for Fish Products is quite specific and states “Natural substances or those derived from natural substances without the addition of ethoxyquin or other chemically synthesized substances or chemical treatment except that liquid fish products as soil and plant amendments may be pH adjusted with (in preferential order) organic vinegar, organic citric acid, phosphoric acid or sulphuric acid. The amount of acid used shall not exceed the minimum needed to reach pH 3.5. Shall not contain synthetic preservatives or fertilizing substances not listed in this Standard.”

From this I think we can extrapolate that straight fish effluent itself has not been approved for use, but it could be used to make compost acceptable on organic farms; that is if the compost made meets the detailed criteria laid out in the standard.

Hope this answers some of your questions
Rochelle