Return to Website

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM

A place for Puma owners and enthusiasts to ask questions, provide answers, and post information of interest.

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need advice about 77 Puma convertible

I really don't know anything about the Puma, but a co-worker introduced me to it and I'm eager to buy one. I've located what appears to be a clean 77 Puma in the Baltimore area. The owner informed me that the engine siezed up and will need a rebuild. Here is the link to the ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=434921

Here are my questions to you all:

-What model Puma is this (GTE/GTI/GTS/GTC)?
-How do I know that this is the real thing?
-What other engine options are available that are reliable and easy to install? (I've read of owners installing v6 engines)

I appreciate any other advice. I want to take a look at the car this weekend.

Thanks,

Lee

Re: Need advice about 77 Puma convertible

Hello Lee,

Here are my answers:
- This is a Puma GTS (GTS means a convertible pre-1981 Puma)
- The car seems very nice in picture. Has a lot of details (badges, original IP buttons, trims) hard to find if missed... and I also love those Fuchs wheels.
- VW aircooled is a very good option, doesn't need modifications on the car structure, and it is very reliable and simple. I don´t think a V-6 is the best engine for this car... I recommend a Porsche engine, a Subaru boxer or a VW inline-4 from Golf/Jetta

Re: Need advice about 77 Puma convertible

Hi Lee,

Great to have you here with us. I took a look at the car you are interested in and it seems to be fairly complete.

As Doug said, it is a GTS and it is the real deal. If you would like to do some additional reading on the Puma and it's history, come and visit www.PumaGTE.com and dig around some. I have pictures, magazine articles, how-to write ups, technical information, etc that can help you in your search for the perfect Puma. I have one write up (look under Tech=> How To) that shows what things to look for when buying a Puma. The site and available write ups may also help you with the regular maintenance of these great little cars.

Once you visit, you will also find a more updated forum that has additional capabilities and no pop-ups so feel free to use it and ask as many questions as you can come up with.

There is also a photo gallery that you can upload your own photos to or view others that have done the same.

Hope you enjoy it and let me know if you have any questions.

Brandon Nelson
www.PumaGTE.com

Re: Re: Need advice about 77 Puma convertible

Hello all you Puma lovers,

I have been looking at this car for a few weeks and just bought it. I have been searching for a Puma for over 10 years. Either the car wasn't right or the timing financially was off.

I have been in the Puma family for 42 years and look forward to owning one. My brothe had one years ago.

Thanks for the info on this car. I thought it was a good buy.

Craig Puma