Return to Website

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM

A place for Puma owners and enthusiasts to ask questions, provide answers, and post information of interest.

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: watercooled engine

The vw engine in the car is shot, repairing it will cost as much as a new one. I want to put a watercooled engine in, it is more reliable, much cheaper and spare parts are more available. want i ment in my question is, has it been done before and what is the pro`s and con`s. engine in the back, radiator in front?

Re: Re: Re: watercooled engine

Which watercooled engine are you thinking about? Wasserboxer flat-4 VW engines would fit okay, but they are not that cheap. Upright watercooled VW engines such as those in Golf/Jettas are more reliable and more powerful, but the conversion would be pretty involved. They won't fit under the engine lid so you will have to do some body work, also, plumbing the radiator up front isn't as easy as you would expect. With all of that water in long pipes it's easy to have leaks and air pockets in the system. The work involved is pretty extensive.

If you are looking for the cheapest and easiest way of gettingthe car running reliably, you can't beat the original VW aircooled engine. I would have a hard time believing you couldn't get parts for these engines, they are the easiest parts in the world to get. The VW aircooled is also one of the best engineered, simplest, most reliable , and most hot-roddable engines in the world.

Do you need some sources for VW parts online? try aircooled.net, Cip1.com, CBperformance.com, chirco.com, thesamba.com.

Good luck!