Return to Website

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM

A place for Puma owners and enthusiasts to ask questions, provide answers, and post information of interest.

PUMA OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Puma paint

Thanks for the info. Any idea if the paint is a lacquer.

I believe the original paint is an acrylic enamel.
If I was to refinish my Puma again I would not use soda blast I would spend the time to sand it down with a DA. I found the soda blast on fiberglass to be very harsh. It left a very porous surface and opened up a lot of voids that required filling.
You may consider getting a section of hood or door partly soda blasted to see what the finish will be on yours before committing to the whole car. Also read about neutralizing soda blast to avoid paint adhesion problems, the problems can be worse on a porous surface where proper neutralizing is tougher to accomplish.

Did you soda blast yourself, or have a shop complete it?
Best regards,
Jim

I Googled media blasting Corvettes and one thread through all of them is that you better have someone who has done fiberglass before do the job. More negatives than positives on soda blasting. More folks had better results with plastic media blasing. The best technitions can take off the paint and leave the primer

I had my car professionally blasted by a place that has been doing this for a very long time. http://www.fishburnproctor.com/
They have blasted many collector restoration project cars. They have a variety of media available and have done work for me in the past. However it was not cheap by any means and I would not repeat the process with soda on fiberglass again. It is great on metal but the neutralizing requirement still exists.

Thanks guys. I have been reading up on soda and I think I will pass on it. I am probably going to old school it with the DA. The more I go over the car the more small imperfections I find that will need additional attention.