Ailwyn Discussion Board

A forum for all Ailwyn Parents, Pupils, Governors and Staff. Please give your name. Anonymous postings will be deleted.

Ailwyn Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ailwyn School

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. We are thinking of moving into the area in the near future and it looks as though my oldest son will attend Ailwyn and Abbey schools. Having read the Ofsted report I was a little concerned about certains aspects of the school and wonder if anyone could give me a frank appraisal from first hand experience. Staff or pupils, I would be grateful to hear from anyone.

Thanks

Re: Ailwyn School

Hi ,
I'm in the same boot as you, just wondering did you get any more information on the school?

How far is the school from the nearest airport? What is the area like?

I would like to point out that the ofsted report is JUST for the ailwyn and the Abbey is definatly a very good school for when your son gets there should you move. The recent events of the tragic death of Tom Jones has really pulled the school together as a community and i am proud to be in the Abbey's sixth form. As for the Ailwyn, well i left 3 years ago now and it was an alright school then, not been back so i cant tell you any more than that.

Re: Re: Ailwyn School

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it has only just come through to me. You mention a tragic death. Did not know anything about this, could you tell me about it please.

Many Thanks
Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Ailwyn School

Please do not be concerned about sending your son to Ailwyn. Academically it is a good school. New systems have been put in place to improve any areas of weakness. Most of the parents of pupils that attend here are very supportive and agree that it does not deserve to be in special measures. If you came to look around the school, i'm sure that you would agree. In regard to Tom Jones, he was a sixth former at the Abbey that was tragically killed in a hit-and-run accident recently.

the school is great i attend myself!! i love it really the teachers are really helpful. and in the ofsted report 80% were satisfactory and only a small number of students let us down but we have a new punishment system now which seems to be sorting things out and also HMI are coming back on the 20th and 21st to inspect again and we are hoping for a better result! :)

Re: Re: Ailwyn School

ailwyn school is great, i am going into year 8 now and i cant wait to get back. most of the teachers are great and i wouldnt change any of them, ms collins (english) is the BEST teacher there!!!