Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TONIGHT! Please join us in out Chat Room for "The Sky Dragon"

FROM CHARLIE CHAN: “To think is one thing, to have proof is another.”

Greetings, as we move deeply into the Holiday Season and Christmas fast approaches!

This week, we reach the final film in the Charlie Chan film series, “The Sky Dragon.” In this adventure, Charlie Chan and Number One Son, Lee, are on a flight to San Francisco that proves to be far from routine, as murder stalks the skies. Can father and son solve this case before they, and others fall victim to “The Sky Dragon”?

As is our custom, we begin arriving at 7:30 Eastern Time, we will be sharing, before our featured presentation, an “extra.”

OUR PRESENTATIONS:
1. The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan in: “The Greek Caper” (1972; Runtime: 22 minutes)
2. “The Sky Dragon” (1948; Runtime: 64 minutes)

FILM SUMMARY: Charlie Chan and Number One Son, Lee, are passengers aboard a commercial airliner. There are also two insurance couriers who are carrying a shipment of $250,000. Minutes after drinking coffee that was served, everyone on board the plane falls asleep, including the crew. Lee is the first to awaken and he notices a limp hand protruding from the cockpit door. Upon closer inspection, discovers that one of the couriers has been stabbed to death and that the insurance money has been stolen.

NOTES: The working title of this film was “Murder in the Air.” The film's title card reads: “Charlie Chan in ‘The Sky Dragon’". Although Roy Livingston is credited onscreen as editor, ‘Hollywood Reporter’ production charts credit Ace Herman as editor. Keye Luke: "Sky Dragon was the best thing we made down at Monogram. I finished up the series - the forty-sixth, which is The Feathered Serpent, and the forty-seventh, which is ‘Sky Dragon.’ They liked them so well - especially ‘Sky Dragon’ - that they planned to make three more Chans over in London with frozen funds. I was in New York waiting to go over the Atlantic and got a call from them that said, 'Gee, we're sorry but Her Majesty's government devaluated the pound and our frozen funds have taken a dive.' So we never made them. ‘Sky Dragon’ was a good story. It worked out very well and the response to it was so strong that they decided to make three more – ‘Charlie Chan in London,’ ‘Charlie Chan in Paris,’ and ‘Charlie Chan in Rome,’ I think were the titles. Of course, we never did." (Adapted from: Hanke, Ken, “Charlie Chan at the Movies: History, Filmography, and Criticism,” p. 251).

TIME: We begin with arrivals and greetings at 7:30 EASTERN TIME. Then, we share our “extra,” which will be followed at exactly 8:15 when we roll our featured movie: “The Sky Dragon.”

LOCATION: Our Charlie Chan Family Chat Room, which is accessed at http://www.charliechan.info/id17.html.

IF YOU LACK A COPY OF OUR FILM: Often our features can be found available online. Sadly, our feature for this week IS NOT presently available online. Our “extra” can be found at: http://www.toon.is/the-amazing-chan-and-the-chan-clan-14-the-greek-caper-video_df7e83198.html

NEXT WEEK: Please plan on joining us as we complete our year of Charlie Chan with “The Return of Charlie Chan,” starring Ross Martin.

PLEASE plan on joining us, even if you lack a copy of our movie! Lots of fun to go around!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: TONIGHT! Please join us in out Chat Room for "The Sky Dragon"

I have company coming today so I may not be in the chat room tonight. Please, Rush, wish everyone a Merry Christmas, or Happy holiday to all who come. I'll see you next week. (hounder)

Re: TONIGHT! Please join us in out Chat Room for "The Sky Dragon"

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you Tracey/Hounder!
Best Wishes,
Matt

Final Warners Set

I've had all of the Chan films for awhile... some in grey market versions. Was given this final Warners release for Christmas, and have to say that they are EXCELLENT versions... clean, complete, etc.... Even having seen all three films previously, these feel like new films.... especially Sky Dragon. TYSM. Delighted.