Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Film Historian Intros "The Black Camel" in Hawaii

I have bought my lottery ticket and hope to see you there! "Break a leg" tonight, Steve

Successful Turnout for Chan Movie Night (3/16/17)

Aloha fans of Charlie Chan,

On Thursday, March 16th, Left Coast Crime Mystery Convention held its Charlie Chan Movie Night at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki. A double-feature of Chan mysteries was presented on a large screen with audio speakers wrapped around the room.

First, we viewed "The Black Camel" (1931) with Warner Oland, followed by "Charlie Chan in Honolulu" (1938) with Sidney Toler. Mr. Oland's earliest-known Chan film. Then Mr. Toler's first time in the role of Inspector Chan. At the times, both actors were alive and well, and successfully into the part. A great double-feature. The audience truly enjoyed seeing Charlie Chan. There were no complaints about casting and dialogue.

Approximately 75 people paid $50.00 each for an evening screening featuring Charlie Chan, with commentary by four Chan aficionados, including yours truly. The films received several 'oohs' and 'aahs' as Chan and characters interacted with one another. When a knife was thrown at Chan, in 'The Black Camel', I saw one person jump out of their seat and yell out, "Oh know!" (I was watching from the back of the ballroom.)

Must of the viewers were elderly people, in their 60s to their 80s. A few people arrived in wheelchairs. I saw one female younger among the audience member. Everybody had a great time.

It was truly a magical night to see these films, up on the "big screen," where all great films deserve to be.

I wish the entire Charlie Chan family could have been there to entire this truly special evening. Charlie Chan is alive and well. He's living in Honolulu. Mahalo.

Re: Successful Turnout for Chan Movie Night (3/16/17)

WoW, that was quite a large crowd! Steve, how wonderful. Really would loved to have been there to enjoy it (as you put it) on the large screen. You do us all proud!

Re: Successful Turnout for Chan Movie Night (3/16/17)

Dear Steve,

Thank you (so much!) for the review of this event! Oh, how I wish I would have been able to have been a part of it with you! Sadly, life is crazy at my end at this time.

Anyway, it sounds as if it was a truly wonderful event, to which you certainly added your valuable insights.

Take care, and thank you again!

Sincerely,
Rush