Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Across the Pacific" (1942) Sunday, May 28th

This film should be sub-titled: "Sam Spade Meets the Sons of Charlie Chan" because of several reasons.

The leader players, and the director, worked together in "The Maltese Falcon" (1941).

There are three Chan actors that appear in this film. We have ...

1. Keye Luke (Number One Son) appears as the Steamship Office Clerk.

2. Victor Sen Yung (Number Two Son) appears as Joe Totsuike, a Japanese spy.

3. Philip Ahn (Wing Foo, Number One Son-In-Law) appears as the Informer Inside Theatre.

Also in the cast is ...

4. Frank Faylen (AKA Herbert T. Gillis, Dobie's father).

5. John Hamilton (AKA Perry White) discharges Bogart. "Great Caesar's Ghost!"

Steve, what a treat the movie was. BTW I did see it before and remembered as soon as Vic flipped Boggie on the tutami Mat! Then it all started to come back to me.

I have to say, while watching it something rang familiar. I see the film was based on the novel "Aloha Means Goodby" by Robert Carson and serialized in the Saturday Evening Post in 1942. But if you ever read any Mr. Moto novels, this was a mismash of various Mr. Moto novels by author John P. Marquand (I've read them all). The Marquand books were also serialized in the Post, 1935-1957. And ironically, there were only 6 books--same as the Chan novels!

Really enjoyed it. Mahalo Nui Loa from across the ocean. Lou

Dear Steve and Lou,

I was, thanks to Steve's recorded phone message, able to watch most of the movie! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Rush