Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunday Comics - Artist Alfred Andriola's "Charlie Chan Notebook"?

Rush, et all. I had never noticed before but at the beginning balloon of artist Alfred Andriola's Sunday comics (serialized throughout newspapers across the nation) there is often a "Charlie Chan Notebook" containing a maxim, adage or phrase! These are not of Biggers' doing, nor do I believe they are from the movies.

For example in this past Sunday's reads: "New clothes and old friends wear the best."
http://charliechanfamily.tripod.com/id75.html

A quick check of the list of aphorisms on your website does not reveal this, nor have I seen it in any of the novels. The same applies to a few others I checked. Do you know if these are the product of the Artist?

TXS, Lou

Re: Sunday Comics - Artist Alfred Andriola's "Charlie Chan Notebook"?

Dear Lou,

As the aphorisms that appear in the "Charlie Chan Notebook" featurette in the Charlie Chan Sunday comics by artist Alfred Andriola and apparently nowhere else, these sayings/statements were most certainly created especially for these newspaper comics by the artist himself. It is possible, of course, that the artist was at least in part influenced by material from the Biggers stories, but creating his own different and original versions in the process. Perhaps friends or even readers might have offered "suggestions" to the artist! In any case, I find that they all seem to have that ring of authenticity, adding to the feel of the strip!

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Sunday Comics - Artist Alfred Andriola's "Charlie Chan Notebook"?

"The speech of some is like wind in empty space, but blind man could see your word is good"

T.Y.S.M.
Lou
(Charlie Chan, The Black Camel, 1929, Chapter 14)