Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sorry Charlie, TCM has 9 hours of "The Thin Man" New Years Eve!

We know TCM treads lightly with Charlie Chan flicks. However, if anyone is interested another great detective of that era, Dashiell Hammett's, The Thin Man, will be on from 8PM EST New Year's Eve till around 6:30AM New Years Day. All six movies will be shown consecutively.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-12-31

Happy 2018 everyone! Lou

Re: Sorry Charlie, TCM has 9 hours of "The Thin Man" New Years Eve!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Lou!

Thank you for the heads-up! I caught a glimpse of one showing earlier this evening, and I may watch more as the minutes click down on the West Coast to 2018.

You are correct that TCM "treads lightly" on showing Chan films. They only seem to have a handful available within their vast "vault": "The Chinese Cat," "Charlie Chan in the Secret Service," "The Jade Mask," "The Scarlet Clue," "The Shanghai Cobra," and "Meeting at Midnight" ("Black Magic"). These are all found in the "Chanthology" DVD set. Last week, I sent in a suggestion to show "The Shanghai Cobra." At our website, I have included a link to TCM's "Suggest a Movie page: http://www.tcm.com/suggest-a-movie/index.html

Please give it a try if you can! You will need to create a TCM account first, which is a quick process.

Take care, and thank you for being there in 2017...looking forward to a great 2018!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, done. But with a twist :)

Very good! The "twist" may prove to be the charm!

I watched the first installment of The Thin Man and although it wasn't bad, I can't say it motivated me to watch any of the other Thin Man films that were made. In fact, the best part IMO was at the beginning when Dick Powell was saying how to make a drink; that part supposedly was just Powell talking off the cuff, but the camera was rolling and the director liked it so much he put it in the movie. Interesting if true.

Lin, that's very interesting about the opening shot! I will have to take a closer listen next time I happen to see this film. Thanks for sharing.

It is the actor William Powell who plays Nick Charles in the Thin Man movie series.

Channer, you are correct. William Powell starred in them all: The Thin Man (1934), After The Thin Man (1936), Another Thin Man (1939), Shadow of The Thin Man (1941), The Thin Man Goes Home (1944), and Song of The Thin Man (1947).

I believe Lin meant William Powell (or Bill Powell), although "Dick" Powell played in many mysteries and noir films (famous as Phillip Marlowe in "Murder, My Sweet," 1944) I dont' believe he ever portrayed The Thin Man on film. But I've been wrong before!