Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Toler for a Class

Hi friends,
Wrapping up a class I teach for U MN's OLLI program, I do a final full film. This semester the group wants a Sidney Toler My sense is to show CC at Treasure Island, but thought I check that out with anyone of you who'd like to comment.
(FYI, last year's class wanted an Oland, and I did CC at the Olympics).
Len

Re: Best Toler for a Class

Len, that is certainly a great choice, and features Cesar Romero! My second recommendation would be "City in Darkness" because there's a lot of action and it also stars Leo G. Carroll & Lon Chaney Jr. Plus, Charlie actually gets smacked around a bit :).

I think your choice is perfect! Lou

Thanks Lou... that's a great selection. I've showed some of City in Darkness -- a few clips.... during the class... great newsreel footage.

Hi, Len!

Yes, I think that "Charlie Chan at Treasure Island" would be an EXCELLENT choice! It would be fun, perhaps, to first provide your class with some information on the setting of this film, the 1939 "West Coast World's Fair."

Sincerely,
Rush

Thanks Rush. That makes good sense, as the first time I saw that title years ago, I thought that it was somehow related to a pirate adventure ala Robert Louis Stevenson....