Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Mystery Explored & Conjecture - Rush's Email, Feb 25, 2018

All these are from Rush's email to all (vs the one below on the message board). A couple of mysteries for us to explore if desired! I'll reserve my comments for now. TXS Lou

A “MYSTERY” EXPLORED: We have all noted the large ring that Warner Oland wears onscreen as Charlie Chan. We have shared thoughts as to whether or not the ring in question actually belonged to the actor, or was the property of 20th Century-Fox. In a photo showing Warner and Edith Oland out at dinner (please see attachments), we see that Mr. Oland is indeed wearing a large ring (see detail) that seems to resemble a ring he wore in “Charlie Chan at the Race Track” (see detail). However, one appears to be totally metallic while the other appears to have a carved bronze inset. We also note that the ring is worn on Oland’s had on the traditional wedding ring finger. Could this have been Warner Oland’s wedding ring? Do we see a Buddha image on one or both rings? What are your thoughts?

AND SOME CONJECTURE: About two weeks ago, I watched “A Star is Born” (1937). After watching this film, which focused in great measure on the character of a popular Hollywood actor whose addiction to alcohol led to great grief in his marriage, eventually resulting in tragedy, I thought of Warner Oland and his wife Edith. Warner and Edith were married in 1908, and the actor, about ten years his wife's junior was very devoted to his wife and she certainly played a very important role in his life. Sadly, things eventually soured, as Warner Oland's drinking became an increasing issue as can be seen in the press release affixed to the rear of the photo of the two of them. If you look at the press note attached to the rear of the news photo of Warner Oland and his wife, Edith (see attachments) the date of 8/12/37 is interesting. The Technicolor movie, “A Star is Born,” which was VERY popular and was eventually nominated for seven Academy Awards, winning one, was released on April 20, 1937, about four months before the news release. Could it be possible that, with their marriage already on shaky ground, the Olands (or Edith on her own) may have seen this film, which may have had the effect of hitting home pretty hard? Could it be possible that a popular movie might have at least been a catalyst in the separation of Edith and Warner Oland, eventually leading to a sharp decline in Warner Oland’s physical and mental health during which he left the set of “Charlie Chan at the Ringside” as he suffered a breakdown? What are your thoughts?

Re: A Mystery Explored & Conjecture - Rush's Email, Feb 25, 2018

Thank you, Lou!

I will try to gather all the images that I have available that show Warner Oland's ring. These I will share when I can. Also, I found that the photo of Oland and his wife is closely matched by another photo I have from the same dinner. I'll also share that one, perhaps in our next email message.

Thank you, again!

Sincerely,
Rush