Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How good a detective are you? (Charlie Chan Sunday Comics)

You've heard or seen bloopers in films and TV, but how about in the Charlie Chan Sunday Comics on Rush's Home page. I love reading these each Sunday, but the post last Sunday (still up) and originally posted on March 19, 1939, by famed Chan comic artist Alfred Andriola has a "blooper!"

Can you spot it? I'll give you a hint. Earl Derr Biggers in his role with the Left Coast Crime Club's annual convention, 2017 in Honolulu HI: http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/History.html

Lou

Re: How good a detective are you? (Charlie Chan Sunday Comics)

When Charlie enters the room the object in his hand seems distorted and not weapon like.
Was Gina any relation to Margo lane. Both were very intrepid?

Ha, Gina may have been. Actually, many of these cartoons mimic the books and movies. However, my blooper is of a physical nature (see my hint above.) Another hint is you'll find it within the last 4 panels :) Lou

I think I see a discontinuity. On the bottom row of panels, the lamp on the table changes from the first panel to the second. The lampshade and base of the lamp change colors.

John, that's pretty good, too! I just now noticed that the walls change colors also. But I think we can assume these were all intentional by the artist...the thing in Charlies hand, the different view of the lamp, the wall colors, etc.

OK, since time is running out and Rush will move on to the next comic tonight, here are the clues again; plus, one more. If no one gets it, all will be revealed by tomorrow:

1. Earl Derr Biggers' "role" with the Left Coast Crime Club's annual convention, 2017 in Honolulu HI: http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/History.html (The essential clue)

2. It's in one of the last 4 panels. (true, but also a red herring)

3. It's of a physical nature.(true)

4. You probably don't have a ghost of a chance to get this, it's so obvious. (true)

Thank you so much,
Lou
"Patience are a very lonely virtue" (Charlie Chan, 1926, The Black Camel, Chapter 12)

Great job, everyone!

This week's installment provides a momentary glimpse of a character, who, though unnamed by Mr. Andriola, appears fairly prominently in both a Biggers story as well as in the movie version of that tale!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

OK, I hope this doesn't disappoint anyone (too badly). However, the "BLOOPER" I had in mind is that in cartoon panel No 9 (the second from last) Charlie is completely white--like a Ghost. In all the other panels his face is colored in with a skin tone. However, in that panel he is the only one completely white and stands out.

When I saw this cartoon I immediately thought of the Left Coast Crime Clubs events in Honolulu (2017) and Waikoloa (2009). Earl Derr Biggers was their "Ghost of Honor" at both events.

That's the end of this mystery. If you want to see the panel again, you can get to it via the same link, "Charlie Chan Sunday Comics." From inside, just click on the "Charlie Chan Sunday Comics Archive" link.

Thanks for all your interest. I hope everyone enjoys the Sunday comics as much as I do. I think I know the answer to Rush's question on this Sunday's comic (but that's an easy one :). Lou