Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and His Rendezvous with American Histo

Thanks much and I will have a look later. It seems to me those critics seem never to have really studied all the history they should have and I doubt they even had seen many of the films. Certainly not the Chinese productions.

Re: Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and His Rendezvous with American Histo

Huang's book is a classic.. that I used extensively in the Charlie Chan class that I use in the University of MInnesota's OLLI program.... a featurette on Mr. Moto is Missing (in the second Mr. Moto boxed set) has great info on the Japanese vs. Chinese in American culture of the time... part of which being our need to make friends with the Chinese as potential allies over against the rise of Japan as a potential (and eventual) enemy. Charlie stepped in at the right time as the "good" oriental....

Len, that is very interesting about the featurettes on the Mr. Moto DVDs. I still have to get those! Thought I'd mention that if you want a GREAT Historical read on that very subject--The Chinese, Japanese, and Americans, try "Night in Shanghai," by Nicole Mones. She also wrote "The Last Chinese Chef," and "Lost in Translation."

The book is based on real people and facts, and covers a classic Jazz pianist who turns to Jazz in occupied China, while the city is divided into sectors. It starts out in 1936 and leads right up to the day before the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor. Just thought I'd mention it.