Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Will Public Domain Mean For Charlie?

As the first of Charlie Chan's novels falls into public domain in a little over a year from now, will that lead to a renewed interest in the character, ala how Sherlock Holmes 'took off' once the intellectual property was capable of being freely used?

Since no one will have to pay any licensing fees to use the character (as he was portrayed in the first print novel), will people start pumping out books/movies/television shows?

Re: What Will Public Domain Mean For Charlie?

An interesting question Match Maker. Are you saying that 20th Century Fox will no longer have sole copyright ownership on the Character, as they do now?

While there is much animosity surrounding the character of Chan, I believe the almighty-dollar will prevail and we will see him emerge again; like the proverbial phoenix rising from the ashes--at least in book form.

TXS, Lou

Copyright law being finicky as it is, only those details/mannerisms of the character as they were written in the first novel will be 'fair game'. Now, as the years roll on, and the other novels fall into public domain, any identifying features in them will also become free to use.

For example, the names of all of Charlie's children from the movies? Those can't be used, because the movie's version of Charlie is still under copyright. Anything that was purely movie based, and not portrayed in the first book, cannot be used.

Once a character hits public domain, that means that anyone can use a version of them, but one's version can't be the same as someone else's version. Also, one can't use elements that are still under copyright (which, in 2020, would mean nothing from Charlie's other books).

It occurs to me that come 2020, Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and Charlie Chan will all have entered public domain. Talk about an Avengers-like crossover opputunity!

M.M., that is interesting...The Avengers of Mystery Fiction (haha). You know, I attended a book singing here in Cleveland OH, by Author Brad Ricca, "Mrs. Sherlock Holmes (2016)." Apparently, he didn't need copyright permission as Holmes went into the public domain 2014 and that's why we see all these spinoffs from him. Very interesting stuff.

Hopefully Charlie Chan will see a cultural renaissance of the same sort. Even considering that some people have problems with his portrayal, the fact that he will be in public domain means that said people will be able to 'craft' said portrayal however they want--thus obliviating their 'issues' with him.

It would be good to see some "Charlie" related media out there for consumption.

M.M., I agree. I don't think the world (my world) will be set right until Charlie Chan has a Christmas Caper, i.e.: "Charlie Chan's Christmas." Everyone else has one, Holmes, Poirot, Maigret! I would be an injustice if he never got a Holiday Story like the others.

BTW, are you a writer?

Is it that obvious? LOL Yes, I am a writer. Small time, to be sure, but I have published stuff, and people have paid me to read it (again, not much, but hey, it's not all about the numbers).

As such, I look forward to the day when Charlie is able to be used free and clear. And I'm sure that I'm not alone. For example, once Charlie hits public domain, the writers of such television series’ as "Hawaii 5-0" and "Magnum P.I.” could use him as they see fit.

Considering that both shows take place in Hawaii, it would seem natural for them to utilize him in some way. Flashbacks, ‘reinvented’ for today’s audience, ‘dropped in’ today’s setting with his traditional mannerisms, etc.

Charlie is certainly one of the best known detectives in mystery fiction; one would think it a no brainer to use him if possible.

Yes, hopefully he will be back. However, I wonder if he'll make it to screen & film (TV or Movies) in today's world of political correctness and such. I always thought a play or movie about Biggers' life-journey could successfully incorporate Charlie's story into it, without too much turmoil.

And as far as your question about being a writer "does it show?" I will quote our illustrious detective:

"The man who would avoid suspicion should not adjust his hat under a plum tree" (Keeper of the Keys, 1932, Chapter 16)

Lou

Well, considering that Charlie will be 'free game', I could see some enterprising writer/director/producer deciding to announce that they are 'bringing Charlie Chan into the 21st Century', and change him up to suit their leanings.

I envision that somebody will decide to remake him into a Bruce Lee like action hero. They get to keep all of the 'words of wisdom', but they make him 'hot' for the female demographic, and a martial arts superstar to bring in the 18-45 year old male demographic.

Not how I would go with the character, but doubtless someone will.

M.M. you are probably right...karate chops a plenty (you don't see those too much any more :). I believe that was what they'd planned when Lucy Lu was considering a Chan movie as his granddaughter, around 2006.

In my humble opinion, it will take someone like Guy Ritchie (of the recent Sherlock Holmes films) to produce a true Charlie Chan film. You got any pull? :wink:

Lou

Sorry, no pull here. But once public domain kicks in, if any enterprising independent filmmaker with a gift for gab can convince somebody to bankroll their own film version of the character, they’ll be in the clear to do so.

Me, I’ll stick to the written word: it’s cheaper!