Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Annotated "The House Without a Key"

If anyone isn't aware (please don't tell Rush--he'll be really sore at me :), this fall saw release of the annotated, "The House Without a Key (1925)!" It is the first of five annotated stories inside Author Leslie Klingers' new book: "Classic American Crime Fiction of the 1920s" (October 2018), with introduction by Otto Penzler. The other four annotated novels are:

The Benson Murder Case by S.S.Van Dine (1926)
The Roman Hat Mystery by Ellery Queen (1929)
Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett (1929)
Little Caesar by W.R. Burnett (1929)

For anyone not familiar, Leslie S. Klinger is one of the world's foremost authorities on mystery and crime fiction, and author of "The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes"(2005). He was also a subject matter consultant on the Robert Downy Jr., Sherlock Holmes films.

This is an enormous book, 1125 pages, loaded with information and pictures. It listed at $39.95 new, but Amazon has it at $22.95 now. As you might imagine it contains various observations and comments, on many pages, regarding interesting facts inside the novel. I have a copy, but haven't had a chance to really delve into it. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has read it?

TXS, Lou

Re: The Annotated "The House Without a Key"

Dear Lou,

"Small flower receive blessing of rain with thanks."

This is VERY good news, and am pleased that someone took on this very worthy project. Hopefully it will be a first-rate job. This will certainly create some renewed interest in Mr. Chan as he approaches his centennial. I will place my order for the first volume right away! Thank you SO much for sharing this wonderful news, Lou!

Of course, there could still be a need for an "Annotated Charlie Chan"!

Sincerely,
Rush