Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What Will Public Domain Mean For Charlie?

Yes, hopefully he will be back. However, I wonder if he'll make it to screen & film (TV or Movies) in today's world of political correctness and such. I always thought a play or movie about Biggers' life-journey could successfully incorporate Charlie's story into it, without too much turmoil.

And as far as your question about being a writer "does it show?" I will quote our illustrious detective:

"The man who would avoid suspicion should not adjust his hat under a plum tree" (Keeper of the Keys, 1932, Chapter 16)

Lou

Well, considering that Charlie will be 'free game', I could see some enterprising writer/director/producer deciding to announce that they are 'bringing Charlie Chan into the 21st Century', and change him up to suit their leanings.

I envision that somebody will decide to remake him into a Bruce Lee like action hero. They get to keep all of the 'words of wisdom', but they make him 'hot' for the female demographic, and a martial arts superstar to bring in the 18-45 year old male demographic.

Not how I would go with the character, but doubtless someone will.

M.M. you are probably right...karate chops a plenty (you don't see those too much any more :). I believe that was what they'd planned when Lucy Lu was considering a Chan movie as his granddaughter, around 2006.

In my humble opinion, it will take someone like Guy Ritchie (of the recent Sherlock Holmes films) to produce a true Charlie Chan film. You got any pull? :wink:

Lou

Sorry, no pull here. But once public domain kicks in, if any enterprising independent filmmaker with a gift for gab can convince somebody to bankroll their own film version of the character, they’ll be in the clear to do so.

Me, I’ll stick to the written word: it’s cheaper!