Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our End-of-the-Year Chat/Film Viewing: "The Return of Charlie Chan"

FROM CHARLIE CHAN: “Unexpected appearance of long-absent friend like finding five dollars in pocket of old suit.” (“The Return of Charlie Chan”)

OUR “NEW” CHAT ROOM: I admit I was caught off-guard about the shutting down of our Chat Room provider, Parachat. Thanks to GS, who sent a message to me, I made some fast changes so that we can continue, hopefully, with this week’s chat using the “new” Chat Room.” It can be accessed the same way that we accessed our previous version. Just go to our “Chat Room” link at charliechan.info, or use this direct link: http://www.charliechan.info/id17.html

The “new” Chat Room is not as “fun” as our old, Parachat room, but it should be functional as far as the “basics” are concerned. Sadly, no sounds are available, and I still have not figured out other details, yet. So, to paraphrase, “The show will go on!”

THIS WEEK: We conclude our Charlie Chan Film Tour of 2018 with a viewing of “The Return of Charlie Chan,” starring Ross Martin as Charlie Chan.

OUR PRESENTATIONS: “The Return of Charlie Chan” (1971; 91 minutes) AND we have TWO “extra” presentations consisting of television interviews of Ross Martin.

FILM SUMMARY: The patriarch of the ultra-wealthy Hadrachi family, Alex Hadrachi, shipping magnate and fifth-richest man in the world, is shot at aboard his luxury boat one evening as he is talking with Richard Lovell, one of his guests. Refusing to report the incident to the nearby Vancouver police, writer Andrew Kidder, a friend of Charlie Chan, suggests that Hadrachi call on the famous detective for assistance.

FILM NOTES: “The Return of Charlie Chan” was a pilot film for a projected Charlie Chan television series. However, the project was shelved due to pressure-group complaints due to the casting of a Caucasian in the lead role. Although the film was released theatrically in Europe in 1973, it was not seen by American audiences until it was finally aired on U.S. television by NBC in 1979.

TIME: We begin with arrivals and greetings at 7:30 EASTERN TIME. Then, we share our “extra” presentation which will be followed at exactly 8:15 when we roll our feature for our Monday evening, “The Return of Charlie Chan.”

LOCATION: Our Charlie Chan Family Chat Room, which is accessed at http://www.charliechan.info/id17.html.

IF YOU LACK A COPY OF OUR FILM: Often our features can be found online. Happily, “The Return of Charlie Chan” IS available online. Please use the link provided at our Chat Room. We have also provided links there to our “extras.”

OUR MONTHLY POLL: Please take a moment to cast your last-minute vote in our December 2018 Poll, located at our Entrance Page (http://www.charliechan.info/index.html)!

NEXT WEEK: Please join us on Monday, January 7 as we begin our Charlie Chan Film Tour for 2019 with “Behind That Curtain” (1929).

SO, PLEASE JOIN US as we conclude 2018 with our now-traditional end-of-the-year showing of “The Return of Charlie Chan.”

CONTINUING TO CALL ON ALL WRITERS: Use those creative writing talents that I know you ALL have to write an article for a year-end Charlie Chan Family special publication! You can pen anything that you would like to share! It can be about your favorite aspects of our Weekly Chats, or it can be about your experience as a Charlie Chan fan over the years (how you "discovered" Charlie Chan, how you watched Chan movies over the years, how you have shared the detective with others - family and friends, etc!). You may wish to share a description of your personal Charlie Chan collection of memorabilia, or you might wish to share some film trivia....ANYTHING Chan-related! So, please consider this invitation to contribute to our first attempt at a Charlie Chan Family publication. You can email your contribution to: charliechanfamily@lycos.com. Happy writing and THANK YOU SO MUCH, and a special thanks to those who have already contributed!

Sincerely,

Rush Glick