Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Eran Trece" ("There Were Thirteen") plus a VERY SPECIAL B

FROM CHARLIE CHAN: “Each man thinks his own cuckoos better than next man's nightingales."

OUR “NEW” CHAT ROOM: Our NEW Chat Room can be accessed the same way that we accessed our previous version. Just go to our “Chat Room” link at charliechan.info, or use this direct link: http://www.charliechan.info/id17.html

While our “new” Chat Room is not as “fun” as our old Parachat room (no sound effects!), still, it should be functional as far as the “basics” are concerned. Yes, sadly, no sounds are available, and I still have not figured out other details, yet. So, to paraphrase, “The show will go on!” Parachat’s replacement, RumbleTalk, has a pretty good replacement, and it’s PRIVATE! The main drawback is that at a reasonable yearly price, the room offered will accommodate no more than 15 participants at one time. As we all agreed last week, this number will not always be enough, and we need to continue searching.

THIS WEEK: We continue our Charlie Chan Film Tour of 2019 with a viewing of “Eran Trece” (“There Were Thirteen”) starring Manuel Arbo as Charlie Chan. This film is a Spanish language version of the first movie I the Charlie Chan film series from Fox Films, “Charlie Chan Carries On,” which starred Warner Oland in the title role. “Eran Trece” was a very close “copy” of this picture, and, so, this offers us the only chance, presently, of viewing “Charlie Chan Carries On”!

OUR PRESENTATIONS: “Eran Trece” (1931; 79 minutes) AND we have as our “extra” presentation, the second chapter of the 1943 movie serial, The Adventures of Smilin’ Jack (1943; 21 minutes), which features our Number One Son, Keye Luke in varying episodes!

FILM SUMMARY: Inspector Duff, a Scotland Yard detective, and a friend of Charlie Chan, is pursuing a murderer who is a part of an around-the-world tour group. While his ship is docked in Honolulu, the detective is shot and wounded by the killer. With Duff in critical condition, Charlie Chan carries on the pursuit for his fallen friend.

FILM NOTES: This is one of the four "lost" Charlie Chan films. An illustrated script-based reconstruction of Charlie Chan Carries On can be viewed at our collection of "lost" Charlie Chan films. Earl Derr Biggers' novel was serialized in ‘The Saturday Evening Post’ between August 9 and September 13, 1930. Many records refer to the character played by Lumsden Hare as Inspector Hanley. However very reliable information indicates with near certainty that this character was actually called Inspector Hayley in the finished film. Some sources erroneously include Luana Alaniz in the cast of the Spanish version (“Eran Trece”). In his autobiography, L. B. Abbott notes that he assisted photographer Sidney Wagner on “Eran Trece.” “Eran Trece” was the only Spanish version in the Charlie Chan series. In 1940, Twentieth Century-Fox again filmed Biggers' novel as “Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise.”

TIME: We begin with arrivals and greetings at 7:30 EASTERN TIME. Then, we share our “extra” presentation which will be followed at exactly 8:15 when we roll our feature for our Monday evening, “Behind That Curtain.”

LOCATION: Our Charlie Chan Family Chat Room, which is accessed at http://www.charliechan.info/id17.html.

IF YOU LACK A COPY OF OUR FILM: Often our features can be found online. Happily, “Eran Trece” IS available online, as is our “extra.” Please use the link provided at our Chat Room. We have also provided links there to our “extras.”

OUR MONTHLY POLL: Please take a moment to cast your last-minute vote in our January 2019 Poll, located at our Entrance Page (http://www.charliechan.info/index.html)!

NEXT WEEK: Please join us on Monday, January 14 as we continue our Charlie Chan Film Tour for 2019 with two episodes of "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan."

SO, PLEASE JOIN US as we continue our 2019 tour through the entire Charlie Chan film series…and more…with “Eran Trece” (“There Were Thirteen”).

A VERY, VERY SPECIAL BONUS!: Included below, please find a link to a copy of “The Charlie Chan Family 2018 Newsletter” (Issue No. 1), edited by Lou Armagno, whom we know as HonoluLou. Mr. Armagno, as you will see, put together the contributions of a number of CCF members, creating a masterpiece that will be a shining star in Charlie Chan family lore! If, for any reason, you are unable to access the link provided, please view the copy that was placed into our Study at our Charlie Chan Family Home: http://www.charliechan.info/id632.html. Here is the best link to access “The Charlie Chan family 2018 Newsletter” at this address online: https://thepostmanonholidayhome.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/2018-newsletter-master.1.pdf.

Sincerely,

Rush Glick

Congratulations of 2018 Newsletter !!!

Congratulations Lou and Rush on the publication of the one and only 2018 Chan Family Newsletter. A great deal of work went into the publication of this special feature.

As a long-term member of the Chan Family, this newsletter includes a wonderful collection of recent articles by various members of the family. Great reading. Very informative.

Great job gentlemen !!! Thank you so much.

Hawaii_Steve :grinning:

Re: Congratulations of 2018 Newsletter !!!

Dear Lou,

At our Monday Evening Chat "The Charlie Chan Family Newsletter" was one of our high points during our ongoing discussion. The hard work that you put into this beautiful production is greatly appreciated: your compiling of the various contributed articles, your editing, formatting, and final production and publishing of the final product has been a joy to behold!

Thank you so much, sir!

Sincerely,

Rush

Re: Congratulations of 2018 Newsletter !!!

Dear Chan Family Home friends, thank you all for the Kudos. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't shout a sincere "Thank You So Much" to the contributors: Virginia Johnson, Len Freeman, Steve Fredrick, Rush Glick, and those who participate on the "Message Board," which inspired many of my thoughts on articles. Without your input, it would not have been possible.

Thank you to Len Freeman, as we bantered back and forth on what we could and could not say. Thanks to Steve Fredrick for starting a list of Chan 'featurettes' and editing the lead-in to that article. And Virgina's thoughts on the supporting cast of the Chan films were truly just delightful to read! And as to Rush...T.Y.S.M.for everything! Your article was heartfelt, and I know everyone enjoyed it.

One thing I'll say for next years newsletter (2019) is that there is a undiscovered treasure trove of information in the "Study." There are 181 separate article inside and that is not counting those listed under "Book Reviews," Cast," or "Films." I think the following would be great inclusions for next years newsletter:

- Steve Fredrick's Charlie Chan tour in Honolulu
- Len Freeman's course at University of Minnesota "Charlie Chan & Friends"
- The six Charlie Chans - an article in the study under "miscellaneous"
- Alfred Andriola's nationally syndicated Comic Strip (1938-1942), another "miscellaneous"

Those are just a few thoughts I had. Again, my sincere gratitude to everyone for your inputs. This should be a good way to capture significant events thoughout the year that might eventually fall to the wayside and be forgotten. Especially, those items discussed on the message board that are of significance.

Thanks all, and like you I'm looking forward to another year on the Charlie Chan Family Home website.

Lou