Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie's bestfriend

Dear John,

A nice choice! "Lt. Mike" was indeed a friend, perhaps a best friend, of Charlie Chan by the end of the film series.

Sincerely,
Rush

Good question OMF. This isn't exactly what you asked, but it seems to me Harold Huber was his favorite (although never as the same character):

HUBER, Harold (December 5, 1904; New York, New York - September 29, 1959; New York, New York)

Charlie Chan on Broadway: Inspector James Nelson
Charlie Chan at Monte Carlo: Inspector Jules Etienne Joubert
Charlie Chan in City in Darkness: Marcel Spivak
Charlie Chan in Rio: Delegado (Captain) of Police Souto (billed as Chief Souto; also called Senhor Souto)

Lou
P.S. I stole the above from Rush's "Cast List" page)

Dear OMF,

What a wonderful question! Throughout the Charlie Chan film series, we come across many "old friends" of Mr. Chan! However, it seems that one particular person might stand out as a probable BEST friend. That would be Inspector Duff of Scotland Yard, who figures in a very big way in "Charlie Chan Carries On." We see him, of course, in the Spanish language version of that film: "Eran Trece" ("There Were Thirteen"). While in Honolulu, Duff is shot by the unknown assailant while visiting the detective in his HPD office, prompting Charlie Chan to "carry on" for his fallen friend.

In "Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise," a "remake" of "Charlie Chan Carries On," Inspector Duff is again, similarly attacked again, though fatally this time. Chan once again continues on the case begun by his fallen friend.

Of course Inspector Duff is also featured in the book of the same title ("Charlie Chan Carries On") by Earl Derr Biggers. Duff is also mentioned twice by Charlie Chan in Biggers' "Keeper of the Keys" which never made it to the big screen. The detective comments: "It might. I incline to think it does. In fact, I believe that in this case Trouble is what my old friend, Inspector Duff of Scotland Yard, would call the essential clue." Later he states, in a reference to the prior Chan adventure: "As my friend, Inspector Duff of Scotland Yard, would say--he carried on."

So, if I were to choose a probable "best friend" for Charlie Chan, my vote would go to the venerable Inspector Duff.

Again, a GREAT question; one that might be very worthy of including as one of our upcoming poll questions here at our Charlie Chan Family Home!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Rush, I guess that's why you are the Web"MASTER!" You are unquestionably, correct! Lou

Delving further (at least in the novels), both Kashimo (Charlie's assistant) and his (Chief) were both close allies, though perhaps not close friends.

TYSM for all the wonderful comments and thoughts! It is so nice to look at others views and add them to your tool box of CC knowledge. Neat site with lots of extras

Old Movie Fan