Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
So may I ask (Ahem), did you partake in any "OSCULATORY" pastime this weekend?

OSCULATION: In geometry, describes the place where two curves or surfaces come into contact, or where their common tangent exists. It's almost as if the two curved lines are kissing.

Well, to understand what I'm talking about in the subject line, go to this week's "Chan Sunday Comics," June 2d! Talk about a command of the English language! Charlie was a master....or perhaps in this case, Cartoonist Alfred Andriola! I can't help wondering if that was a well know or common idiom back in the day, or if Alfred was just a math nerd!

Re: So may I ask (Ahem), did you partake in any "OSCULATORY" pastime this weekend?

Dear Lou,

I think that in this case, "Two heads (Andriola and Chan) are more knowledgeable than one." Or, the thesaurus is mightier than the scorebook. Of course, Chan was making a reference to the featured character, Speedy Crane, and his effective curve ball! It is also possible that Chan used a bit of then-current baseball slang.

I wonder what Mr. Andriola would have thought, 79 years ago, about people discussing this in the year 2019?

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: So may I ask (Ahem), did you partake in any "OSCULATORY" pastime this weekend?

Indeed, what would he think of our discussion? Even more so, to see you've honored him by dedicating a page on the site, "The Sunday Comics!"

However, I see at present your current frame of mind is that of the cold and calculating detective (like Holmes). The "Osculatory Pastime" Charlie was referring to in that frame was the kiss between Jane & Speedy! Nothing to do with a baseball there. :heart_eyes:

Well, Lou, as we saw in this week's finale, love does indeed conquer all! :wink:

Sincerely,
Rush