Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The enduring fascination with Sherlock Holmes: It's Elementary (article)

Rush, a very good analogy and true--It is unfair to compare. The Holmes stories covered the period 1878-1903 with a final case in 1914; while the Chan novels were written in time 1925-1932 (I think I'm right there, yes?)

However, interestingly enough while the The Saturday Evening Post was serializing Biggers' novels (1925-1932), The Strand Magazine was serializing the last of Doyle's short stories that would be collected (along with 6 other stories) under the title: The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes.

Check out the timeline when these stories were serialized in The Saturday Evening Post & The Strand Magazine:

Biggers:
The House Without a Key (1925)
The Chinese Parrot (1926)
Behind That Curtain (1928)
The Black Camel (1929)
Charlie Chan Carries On (1930)
Keeper of the Keys (1932)

Doyle:
The Adventure of the Illustrious Client (1924)
The Adventure of the Three Gables; The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier, & The Adventure of the Lion's Mane, The Adventure of the Retired Colourman (1926)
The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger; The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place (1927)

Kind of interesting they were both writing/publishing their works at the same time. Also, that their lives overlapped:

Arther Conan Doyle: May 22, 1859 - July 7, 1930 (71 yrs)
Earl Derr Biggers: Aug 26, 1884 - Apr 5, 1933 (48 yrs)

I wonder if Sir Arthur might have read one or two of Earl's first four novels?

Re: The enduring fascination with Sherlock Holmes: It's Elementary (article)

"I wonder if Sir Arthur might have read one or two of Earl's first four novels?"

Possibly! It's fun just to imagine that that could have actually happened!

Sincerely,
Rush