Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fond Memories of AMC & Charlie Chan

I also enjoy watching these old movies, especially now that I am retired and have free time. In addition to my copies of some of the Chan marathon films, I still have old Betamax tapes of Chan movies from the 1980's. The tapes are "noisy" and blurry, and I haven't watched them in a long while. Back then, our cable TV carried a channel from Boston that hosted a mystery movie on Saturday nights, hosted by Charlie Laquidari (or a name similar to that). The introduction had spooky piano music, and an old house in the fog. There were occasional humorous studio scenes interspersed in the movie. We used to watch these movies on weekends with family and neighborhood friends. I miss those old days, and rewatching my Chan films is a way to remember the past.

"Charlie Laquidari" great moniker! Last night (Sunday) a local UHF station here, W16DO-D, Cleveland OH, showed "Charlie Chan's Secret" at 10PM, on their: Who Dun It Theater!

Next Sunday it's Sherlock Holmes Fatal Hour (1931). It great to see these still available (if one still has rabbit ears :)

Lou, you are blessed indeed to have an independent local channel that shows those films! Now, this is definitely a "blast from the past"! Do they show Chan films with any regularity, and is there also a throwback-style host?

-Rush

John, those are great memories, indeed! Those old tapes (BETA!) are treasures, like going back in a time machine to an, alas, simpler era. If any of your taped films contain commercials - normally the bane of avid film viewers - those, too, can now be fun-to-see glimpses back to older cars, forgotten products, then-emerging technologies, and maybe even the famous "I've fallen, and I can't get up!"

My very best to you in your retirement!

Sincerely,
Rush

Wonderful input from everyone, great trip down memory lane. Been out of town my sister passed away 2 Sundays ago and had to deal with that. Matter of fact when I was little its her house that i saw all these fklms first on the late late features on the weekend when tv went off the air around 1 am. Seems the east coast shows still are around but in the midwest not so. Anyway i ramble, tysm for your thoughts Im going to watch some more tapes this weekend

Oldmoviefan

Dear OldMovieFan,

First, please accept my condolences on the loss of your sister. May your fond memories of watching these films at her home and perhaps spending some fun-filled late nights sharing them with her.

Thank you for starting off this interesting and fun trip down that fabled Memory Lane...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick