Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: King Tut and Charlie Chan

Dear Lou,

It's also okay to watch our favorite detective and have FUN! :) In fact, it seems that you and the kids had a GREAT time! I would guess, however, that some of the "teachable" elements made their silent mark...

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush Glick
"Charlie Chan in Egypt," from 1935, came only about a dozen years after the earthshaking discovery of the tomb of King Tutankhamun by archeologist Howard Carter. This discovery rocked the world with tales of ancient curses and ancient treasures, influencing everything from Art Deco, fashion, and architecture.

In the wake of all this, which was still vivid in the minds of moviegoers, Charlie Chan entered that milieu with an adventure complete with mummies and curses from the distant past! The very beginning of "Charlie Chan in Egypt" features a scene of the opening of a tomb, reminiscent of Carter's first glimpse of what Tut's tomb contained through the initial opening of that tomb. We also witness the mysterious demise of a worker, suggesting the first death-by-curse.

Throughout the Chan film series, we see real-world connections, both cultural and historical. This aspect of the movies offers an added treat that I for one, greatly enjoy. I also recall the late Joanne Walsh telling us on a number of occasions during our Monday Evening Chats, how she would use Charlie Chan movies to teach her young children some history, and "Egypt" fit in well in that regard.

Please enjoy...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick
I always enjoyed the "real life" parts of the Honorable detective's films. Each one seems to have a added value with the suggestion of current government or moral standard . Even some sport trivia. I think that's the Big appeal with this series. Charlie use things going on to entangle a mystery with. And Boy 50 plus years after meeting Charlie I've kept these films alive in my home...I DO ENJOY THEM! :D

Old Movie Fan

Dear OMF,

Your 50 years of Charlie Chan enthusiasm fuels the soul! I have found that virtually ALL films in the series offer at least one tidbit of history! The film that we will be watching for our Monday Evening Chat this week, "Charlie Chan in Shanghai," is no exception! Shanghai was a British possession, as is shown, the opium trade was a blight at the time of our movie, the League of Nations is noted, and more.

I know that you will continue to enjoy these great and historically relevant pictures! Also, please consider joining us for one of our upcoming Monday evenings!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick