Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Living Charlie Chan actors/actresses

That is pretty neat, Rush. A benevolent age to reach on any account. I took a trip over to IMDb and interestingly she only has two other film credits to her name:

- QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS (1947). A woman's husband has disappeared on an expedition into the jungle. She hires a guide to take her into the jungle to find him. However, they discover that he has been captured by a savage female tribe. (Some guy are so lucky.)

- A LETTER FOR EVIE (1946). An oafish soldier receives a shirt but disregards the letter inside sent by a lovelorn secretary, prompting his bumbling friend to impersonate him in order to win her heart.

In the top film, she had a major part as Zita-the Amazon Queen. While in the bottom film "Evie" she plays a French girl (Uncredited). Since "Dangerous Money" was released the year before (October 1946), it must have secured her role as Zita, in "Queen of the Amazons!"

A short, but significant movie career in the Land of Chan - and she's still around to tell about it should someone ask. Wouldn't it be nice to send her a note, telling her she was adored yesterday by Chan fans around the planet? (and perhaps ask her how it was working on the set with Sydney Toler and Victor Sen Young.)

AH! You have possibly sent us off on a quest to find the whereabouts of Amira Moustafa!

-Rush

Rush, humble assistant in Cleveland has no luck finding whereabouts of Mrs. Moustafa. Wish you much luck if you endeavor same path. T.Y.S.M.

Yes, Lou, it would be the proverbial needle in the stack of hay. At least the name is unique enough for a chance in finding her. However, at age 98, the chances are that Ms. Moustafa either lives in virtual obscurity or passed away in that obscurity without the fact having been noted publicly. Still, we can search...

Sincerely,
Rush

I did find this: https://hjwollstein.blogspot.com/2011/09/amira-moustafa-dangerous-money.html

Thank you, Stuart! An interesting "take" on "Dangerous Money" and Amira Moustafa. It is interesting, and even a little puzzling, to note that her film career spans only tow years and three movies.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Thats pretty cool! We also have Phyllis Coates still alive!

Yes, Scott! However, you are both right and "wrong." There is the Lois Lane connection, but the Lois Lane you were thinking of is Noel Neill who was in "The Sky Dragon" and who sadly left us in 2016.

Interestingly, I had the opportunity some years ago to ask Noel Neill if she had any recollections she could share on the filming of "The Sky Dragon," but she told me she could not recall anything about that picture. (We should perhaps remember, though, that Monogram Pictures, being on a tight budget, shot their movies rather quickly, thus not making a lasting imprint on among the collected memories of some participants!)

Thank you, Scott!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Ah yes Rush, the wrong Lois (at least as far as Charlie is concerned!) But still who can forget Phyllis in that episode of "Superman and the Molemen!" One of my personal favorites. Great dialog!

Oh right! Phyllis was in a Monogram film but its a Bowery Boys fulm, perhaps their best film! Too bad Noel didn’t recall anything. And yes Phyllis was great in the movie and first season of Superman!

Agreed!

-Rush