Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Musical Sleuthing... :)

Leonard, don't worry if you have mentioned any of this information before! As I have told my students, "Repetition is the mother of learning!"

Take care, and thank you, once again, for your contributions on this topic. FUN, and INTERESTING indeed!

Sincerely,
Rush

Leonard,

10,000 thanks for your insights. This is what we've suspected is the case. We both (MnR) would have LOVED to spend a year with one of these music people putting together music for multiple "B" movies.

If anyone knows of a memoir or biography (autobiography?) from these "film music people," please let us know.

For musicians, this is a fascinating topic. Imagine waking up, having your morning coffee and figuring out where you're going to find music to modify into the accompaniment to some random Charlie Chan--or Mr. Moto--or Secret Agent X9 flick...because you have a deadline and rent to pay.

Mike: "What was that spy bit in the last Chan movie? Maybe I can swipe that for my Secret Agent movie gig."

Rachel: "We gotta eat, sweetie...try looking in the Monogram library. You'll find something to use. In the meantime, have another muffin. And we need to mail the rent next week."

:)

Some of the information I've gotten comes from this great book:

Musique Fantastique, Second Edition
100 Years of Fantasy, Science Fiction & Horror Film Music
A Historical Appreciation & Overview
By Randall D. Larson

It features miniature biographies of some of the "big guns" of film composers who specialized - or are best known for - horror, mystery, adventure films of "Hollywood's Golden Age": Max Steiner, Frank Skinner, Hans Salter, etc. This is one book you CAN judge by it's cover - the Boris Karloff version of The Frankenstein Monster as an orchestra conductor. Great research and good insights - not enough on the "B-Movie" composers like Edward Kay, etc. - but worth getting for film music scholars and fans!