Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Observations On "Keeper of the Keys".

I just finished reading “Keeper of the Keys” by Derr Biggers, and without going too far into the weeds, I thought I’d jot down some observations.

For starters, I am saddened to realize that the American passenger rail system has gotten worse over the past 88 years, rather than better. In the story, Charlie was able to take a passenger train from Sacramento to Tahoe in 1932. Yet, if one looks at Amtrak’s website, no such connection is to be found today. That it was easier to get around the country nearly a century ago than it is today, does not speak well of American infrastructure.

Additionally, it would appear that the author, the editor, or both, were unfamiliar with firearms (which is humorous, considering that these are murder mysteries that we are talking about). In the story, a particular gun is referred to variously as a semi-automatic pistol and a revolver—two very different types of guns. And it’s not a onetime thing, as the same mistake is made repeatedly throughout the rest of the novel. That’s the sort of thing that a good editor is supposed to pick up on, and correct, before the story goes to print.

The inclusion of the romantic subplot was unexpected, but its pleasantly wholesome nature made it welcome, though its resolution seems way too fast. I mean, seriously, who marries somebody they’ve only known for three days? Plus, it sort of leaves the female character’s brother ‘hanging in the wind’.

Finally, I wanted to note the narrative prose of the piece, in that despite being nearly 90 years old at this point, it reads every bit as modern as anything one sees on the shelves today. Contrast that with certain other mystery stories that came out at the same time. Author Conan Doyle’s last Sherlock Holmes story dropped in 1927, yet despite being the same time frame as Charlie Chan, it reads decidedly like something from the Victorian era (which makes sense, as that’s when Doyle honed his craft). I guess it goes to show that there has not been much change in literary style over the past nine decades, which is itself something worthy of note.

In all, I enjoyed the book, and I enjoyed picking up on these little tid bits that made the book all the more fun.

Re: Observations On "Keeper of the Keys".

MM, nice review. About the handgun, that's quite an error for Bobbs-Merrill, Biggers publisher!

I agree the Sheriff sure did some quick courtin', with that young lady. I seemed to think it was 8 days over which the story took place, but I could be wrong (like that would make a difference, haha.)

This is probably my favorite of the Chan stories and I loved the exchange between Charlie and Violet and Henry Lee in Chapter one. I believe this was the only book never made into a film, but did have a short-lived life as a Broadway play. TXS, Lou

Dear MM,

Thank you for sharing your observations on this fine Chan mystery! One thing you note is that there is no rail service to Lake Tahoe itself today. Yes, that is true, and, in fact, there never was. As was the case in Charlie Chan's day, there is a nearby stop on the Union Pacific rail line in the town of Truckee, California. The station is still active today, and I have been there on a couple of occasions. When I was there once, a passenger train made a stop there! I believe the train takes passengers all the way to Chigago. What a treat it would be to take that line one day!

And on your thoughts on that quick romance, stranger things have happened, and still do! Who knows, perhaps their engagement didn't ultimately work out. However, it is not uncommon for Charlie Chan to participate in budding romance in his adventures!

Thank you, again!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Rush, now why would you be-a-headin' to the town of Truckee? And more than once! Oh, I didn't read the facts:

Recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Truckee proudly retains its historic roots...Truckee is well known for its logging, ice manufacturing, the Emigrant Trail, as well as for the tragic expedition of the Donner Party.

So do are you a log-roller, or do you do ice sculptures? :laughing:

Dear Lou,

Neither. I can only gasp at the ramifications of either undertaking! Actually, Truckee is a quiet town that relies on a tourist economy. We had lunch on our first visit that had been reviewed on the Food Network. Good veggie burgers!

In "The Keeper of the Keys," Truckee plays a role, though. The story's first sentence: "The train had left Sacramento some distance behind, and was now bravely beginning the long climb that led to the high Sierras and the town of Truckee." And, while speaking with a young admirer who worked on the train, "'You alight at Truckee, Inspector'
'I do,' nodded Charlie..." In our online copy of the story, Truckee is mentioned 26 times! I recall a nice description of the drive from Lake Tahoe to Truckee, and the ride there is much the same today, only the road would be vastly improved!

So, if any fan of Charlie Chan ever finds themself at Lake Tahoe, there are some opportunities to make some very real connections to "The Keeper of the Keys"!

Sincerely,
Rush