Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Observations On "Keeper of the Keys".

Dear Lou,

Neither. I can only gasp at the ramifications of either undertaking! Actually, Truckee is a quiet town that relies on a tourist economy. We had lunch on our first visit that had been reviewed on the Food Network. Good veggie burgers!

In "The Keeper of the Keys," Truckee plays a role, though. The story's first sentence: "The train had left Sacramento some distance behind, and was now bravely beginning the long climb that led to the high Sierras and the town of Truckee." And, while speaking with a young admirer who worked on the train, "'You alight at Truckee, Inspector'
'I do,' nodded Charlie..." In our online copy of the story, Truckee is mentioned 26 times! I recall a nice description of the drive from Lake Tahoe to Truckee, and the ride there is much the same today, only the road would be vastly improved!

So, if any fan of Charlie Chan ever finds themself at Lake Tahoe, there are some opportunities to make some very real connections to "The Keeper of the Keys"!

Sincerely,
Rush