Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Books by Scott V. Palmer listed on Amazon

Dear Rush,

I guess I'm looking at this all wrong. Compared to other fictional detectives, such as Sherlock Holmes, the number of Charlie Chan books, appears to be very few. However, we're fortunate that Earl Derr Biggers chose to write about Charlie more than just once. Still, I realize there are a few other Chan mysteries written by other authors, but I selfishly wish there were even more. Thank goodness there have been numerous movies featuring this amazing sleuth! I continue to hope that at least one of the lost films will turn up for us fans to enjoy.

Sincerely,
Thomas S. Inge

Oops, sorry to have submitted my above thoughts twice!

Thomas, I've done that a time or two, and I believe Rush can delete one of them for you.

Hmmm, interesting to think about where a 7th Chan Book would have taken us? Set's see:

1. House…Honolulu
2. Parrot…California Desert
3. Curtain…San Francisco
4. Camel…Honolulu
5. Carries on…slow boat Honolulu to San Francisco (for Charlie's part anyway)
6. Keys…Lake Tahoe and Reno

I'm guessing if "Biggers" had written another novel, it would have brought Charlie back home to Honolulu to solve another mystery. Reason I say that is the audience he was writing to at the time. The Pacific Islands were a topical romantic location, far away and unknown to most except through books. The "Hawaii Calls, radio broadcasts from Waikiki Beach to radio stations on the mainland, didn't begin until 1935. So Biggers novels were the first taste of Paradise for most.

Now, as for where one would "like" to have seen another Chan adventure. I'd like to have see him in Europe. Perhaps traveling on the orient express. One can dream, yes!

Lou, possibly that would make a good poll question: If there had been another book in the series by Mr. Biggers, what location for the murder would the readers have preferred most? I can't say I would have been too picky. Any place with Charlie would have been fine with me, but Honolulu is a wonderful city.

Thomas, I agree...that is a great Poll question!

Lou, you rival Tarneverro in mind-reading ability!

-Rush

Lou, I agree. It would seem logical that Biggers would probably return Chan to his tropical home for his next case. After that...maybe indeed to Europe...and the Orient Express would have been a REAL treat! (Hmmm...perhaps some seeds for thought regarding a future group-formulated Charlie Chan adventure script?)

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, true true. Charlie need to be Euro-bound!

BTW I found the Key to The City of Honolulu, that Biggers was sent to his home in Pasadena, CA (Ref your "Study" item under Biggers: http://www.charliechan.info/id304.html)

Well...I'm embellishing a bit. Not the Actual Key, but a picture of it and some news articles. Will send your way today or tomorrow.

Thank you so much
Lou

First and foremost, research the tutor you intend to hire. Also, if you want to read some cheap essay writing service reviews, go to nanofun-poly.org. This low cost essay writing service can assist college students with the following projects. Of course, getting a suggestion from your friends is ideal, but if that isn't possible, look at the rating.