Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OUR CCF MONDAY EVENING CHAT AND FILM VIEWING FOR AUGUST 2 “Black Magic/Meeting at Midnight”

Leonard, Aloha. That's quite interesting. I too have the Chanthology and the cover says Meeting at Midnight. However, when the film credits start it's say:

Monogram Pictures Corporation presents: Charlie Chan in "Black Magic." Then underneath reads, "Originally released as Meeting at Midnight.

So Your saying they have it backwards and what we're actually watching is "Meeting at Midnight?" Crazy.

Re: OUR CCF MONDAY EVENING CHAT AND FILM VIEWING FOR AUGUST 2 “Black Magic/Meeting at Midnight”

That's right, Lou, they got it backwards! It was originally titled "Black Magic," and, certainly due to the release of the Orson Wells film of the same name in 1949, the title was changed. Can one imaging the possible confusion that might have arisen with showings of the Chan film on or after that date? Also, it was possible that the Chan "Black Magic" could have been shown on early television, and without the name change, even more confusion could have resulted, perhaps even legal action, though the Monogram predated the Wells movie by four years.

I think that I had a VHS copy of "Black Magic" that was titled "Meeting at Midnight" on the title card, but I am not really sure. It did have that title on the cover of the box. Here is an image of that video (captured on the Internet):

The only way I can think of to get the "new" title on a copy would be through what we once called the "grey market." Possibly on eBay, and it would not be very expensive, probably!

Interesting topic, thank you, Leonard!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Lou, just to clarify, the DVD of BLACK MAGIC is from the original source. The explanation the MGM-UA people - or whoever it was that put the information superimposed over the image - got it backwards - which Rush explained. The AAP people retitled the film for TV - and possible theatrical showings (generally in smaller towns) - as MEETING AT MIDNIGHT. Over the years, film and VHS dealers released the film under its newer title, believing that as MEETING AT MIDNIGHT, the film lost its copyright protection. I don't think this is technically true, not being a lawyer or versed in copyright law. I just wanted to get a nice DVD copy of the film with the re-issued title from AAP for the novelty of it.