Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Black Camel / Before Midnight

Was looking thru some old movies and ran across this film "Before Midnight" 1933 which stars Otto Yamaoka in a role similar to his in Black Camel.It has a theme like the Monogram Pictures with Fred 'Snowflake' Toones playing like those of Wille Best/Sleep n Eat/ Mantan Moreland. Great little film, has anyone seen this? Check it out!!

Re: Black Camel / Before Midnight

OMF, I took a look at the first few minutes and it DOES look enticing...like a Chan mystery! Poor Otto, they misspelled his last name in the credits (Yanaoka vs Yamaoka.) I can't imagine he didn't point it out to "someone"; however, who knows given the times.

I did a short blog (actually re-blog by "Adrienne") about Otto and his sister (also in film) back on October 2019 (below). She wrote: "During World War II, the Yamaoka siblings were both sent to the Heart Mountain "Relocation" Camp in Cody, Wyoming and it appears that after World War II, neither one of them returned to the film industry."

Adrienne's Blog: http://pocinclassicfilm.blogspot.com/2014/04/meet-otto-and-iris-yamaoka.html

Me: https://thepostmanonholiday.com/2019/10/01/the-true-sad-events-surrounding-actor-otto-yamaoka-kashimo-from-chan-film-the-black-camel/

Lou,

Thanks for the input and the wonderful information. Had to join the newsletter of yours and will wade thru your site ASAP. The Federal government (which I worked for in two different facets) really mistreated many groups over the years. But don't get me started. Still puts a sting when I think about it.

Again, wonderful site you have that helps those of us that enjoy these films and era. We are growing thin in those that watch and cherish all these WONDERFUL mystery films and television shows. Glad I have many in my private collection, and the internet has help many of us. And those like you and Rush (Kurt at the original CC site, and not to forget John Gregory Betancourt ) have given so much of your time...it hasn't gone unnoticed.

OMF

OMF, thanks for your kind words (and for signing up.) And "yes" special thanks to the others you mentioned, who've been at it a lot longer than I have.

Lou
"If no one had praised the donkey's song, he would not still be singing" (The Black Camel, 1929, Chap 14)
:relieved: