Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan & Quincy M.E.

Was watching Quincy ME S03 E03 A Dead Mans Truth yesterday on local TV. At the 38:30 mark of the show Quincy proclaims "Tomorrow I'm going to make like the final scene of a Charlie Chan film and solve this". Then his assistance states "Can I Be Number One Son?"

Put a BIG smile on my face! :D Just shows that Charlie was showing up in the 80's programs still.

Can anyone think of another show doing the same?

Re: Charlie Chan & Quincy M.E.

Dear OMF,

THANK YOU for this bit of Charlie Chan trivia! It has been discussed over the years how Charlie Chan has popped up in mentions or pseudo-quotes in various media over the decades! This is another that we can add to the collection!

If anyone cares to share other examples, please do!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

That is promising, and done in a positive light. Funny, I vaguely remember one other instance, but can't for the life of me remember where or in what I heard it. The little gray cells don't work so well these days!

There have been quite a few parodies and take-offs of Charlie Chan, and Number One Son, over the years. Near the end of my article: "Beyond Charlie Chan" (August 2009), I mention a few of the take-offs of Chan. My article is posted in The Study section of this website.

Since the publication of the article, I have discovered other take-offs of Charlie Chan by Jack Benny, Carol Burnett, Johnny Carson, and the TV sitcom "Get Smart." Also, we must not forget "Murder by Death," the 1976 feature-length comedy by Neil Simon.

Inspector Sidney Wang (Peter Sellers) is based on Earl Derr Biggers' Chinese police detective Charlie Chan and is appropriately accompanied by his adopted Japanese son Willie (Richard Narita). Wang wears elaborate Chinese costumes, and his comically broken English is criticized by Lionel Twain and others.

Also from 1976 is the film "Mastermind" with Zero Mostel. "Mastermind" is a Charlie Chan spoof feature film. Filmed in 1969, it sat on the shelf for seven years before receiving a limited theatrical release in 1976. It has developed a cult following since its release on home video.

Quote: "No case. Just clue."

Love that. I was a big fan of Quincy as well