Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keye Luke at MGM

Found a picture from 1944 at MGM celebration 20th anniversary. Keye Luke did 3 films at MGM that year 1 Andy Hardy's Blonde Trouble, 2 Three Men in White, and 3 Dragon Seed .

Dragon Seed has several Chan alumni including two sons. But no credit I see for either Benson Fong or Keye Luke. But box office did well

Three Men in White also several Chan actors, but Keye Luke gets billing in this. Box office did okay in this too

Andy Hardy's Blonde Trouble Keye Luke has billing

the b & w pic gives names hope this is enjoyable info Keye Luke back row

Re: Keye Luke at MGM

OMF, WoW! What a treasure trove seeing all that STAR Power together! I also noticed Sinatra's first two Big Band Leaders are in the pic, Harry James and Tommy Dorsey. Too good!

This would make a great an entry into the 2022 CC Family Home Newsletter at the end Dec. If you wouldn't mind?

Thanks for sharing. (I mean..."Thank you so much.")

Lou
P.S. Is it just me, or is that some serious negative body language between Hedy Lamarr & Katharine Hepburn?

Sure I wouldn't see why not. I shared so other can find interesting info on CC & family

Dear OMF,

Wow! Thank you for sharing the information and the accompanying images! It was a treat for me to take a look at this galaxy of stars from that golden era! They make today's stars pale by comparison.

It's always fun to be watching a movie and seeing a Charlie Chan actor, especially when that actor portrayed a son of Charlie Chan. It's even possible to catch a glympse of a Chan daughter in another film!

Thank you, again...much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

For MGM studios, Keye Luke was under contact to appear in the Dr. Gillespie film series. The Gillespie films were a spin-off of the Dr. Kildare series, which began in 1938. MGM produced six Dr. Gillespie films (1942-1947) and Mr. Luke appeared in five of the films as Dr. Lee Wong How.

After the Gillespie series ended, Mr. Luke returned to the Charlie Chan series, as Number One Son, produced by Monogram Pictures.

In the 1944 MGM photograph, we see so many great stars from the past, including the late great Lucille Ball. In 1972, Mr. Luke appeared as a guest star on the "Here's Lucy" sitcom starring Ms. Ball.

The Kildare/Gillespie films are available on DVD.

Steve,

Thanks for the additional info, it really helps to put the pieces together. I will have to view these films now.

Keye Luke was a decent actor I have learned in my years... outside of the CC films.

The DVD set is worth the money.