Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wide World of Mystery / Chan Tie In

Wide World of Mystery was a late-night mystery and suspense anthology series which ran on ABC between 1973 to 1978. In my digging of watching mystery and the scary movies from long ago, I ran across this television series.

I found several that I could view and one that caught my attention was entitled the "The Cat Creature" 1973 . Watching the credits I was pleasantly surprised to see Keye Luke starring in this episode as Joe Sung selling a treasure heirloom.

Amazed at how many times he "Pops" up in so many things. I say he did quite well in his acting career.

Re: Wide World of Mystery / Chan Tie In

Better pictures

Dear OMF!

Thank you for the sighting of our Number One Son as well as the great screen captures! Keye Luke DOES, indeed, "pop up" in some of the most unexpected moments while watching a film! He's not the only Chan son who appears in this manner. Days ago I happened to tune in to TCM just in time to catch Number Three Son, Benson Fong, in "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo"!

Thank you, again...

Sincerely,
Rush

OMF, very cool! Key Luke was one of only three "prime" Chan actors to earn a star on the Hollywood walk of fame, along with J. Carroll Naish, and more recently James Hong. Never been there, but it's on my bucket list.

Dear Lou,

Perhaps we can meet in Hollywood for that adventure one day! But first, there's that lunch at that Cleveland Chinese restaurant!

Sincerely,
Rush

Hello Rush & Lou,

Thanks! And the info on the walk of fame was neato! (yes showing my age with the use of such term)

It is amazing to see the likes of SO many character actors in many many films and shows up till the 80s.

Glad you like the pics... see ya both tomorrow

I am surprised that neither Oland or Toler have a star. That just seems wrong.

Hello Dona,

Both of our actors which played the Honorable Detective had a modest career playing about 10 years a piece the character of Charlie...Oland was in nothing but a few picture that would be A pictures. At the end of his life his habits had him not to well in the eyes of the Hollywood controllers.

Toler was very much the same doing mostly B pictures and still only a short run as those of Keye Luke doing so much through a long career of 35 plus years.Plus aside for many big picture his run on television was huge (almost 40 years on TV). For an Asian actor that is a large accomplishment. He did a lot of cartoon voices as well.

Hence, his Star on the walk....

I was just reading on Wikipedia (I know, I know :) that of about 200 nominations each year, around 20-24 are selected...and only one posthumous award each year.

Among other things the nominee must have"
- Worked 5 years in the award category being considered.
- Have a history of "Charitable Contributions."
- Donate $50,000 for the installation and maintenance of the star

One other thing for deceased members (in case anyone has $50K to throw away): "A relative of deceased recipients must attend posthumous presentations."