Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hawaii_Steve Remembers Virginia Johnson

To my fellow Charlie Chan aficionados,

As I write this remembrance, I am listening to Jackie Gleason's Leisure Easy Listening 2 via YouTube. You may wish to listen to it too. If interested, I have listed the link below.

Leisure Easy Listening 2 Jackie Gleason Reel To Reel Tape Audio Only - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-31IV0sHao [59:52 Chris Cromwell]

It was Monday, February 27, 2006, that I first met Virginia Johnson, via the Charlie Chan Family Chat Room.

February 27th was the first time that I joined the Chan family members (devoted movie buffs), in Chan chat room, to view a film and discussing it. For my first visit to the chat room, I did not know what to expect. I did not play a DVD of the film presented. I just joined the "wild" discussion about the films of Charlie Chan.

In 2006, the Chan Family website was in its sixth year of operation headed by Rush. Rush and I have been exchanging emails about Charlie Chan films and events ever since that time.

As for Virginia, I remember her chat room handle as "the Old Movie Maven." Upon entering the chat room, Virginia would welcome "the family" members by offering them a refreshment from her "virtual beverage cart." Several times, I would ask Virginia for a crazy "made-up" beverage that nobody ever heard of. An example follows:

Steve to Virginia: "Virginia, I'll have a blue-tailed monkey with a twist of lime."
Virginia to Steve: "Coming right up. On the rocks or stirred?"

The exchange was good for a quick laugh.

Virginia and I had several discussions about the films of Charlie Chan. Together, we discussed the misinformation about Chan printed in various books and magazine articles. She wanted me to write an article about the Chan mistakes.

One of my biggest Chan thrills was when Virginia interviewed me for her "Old Movie Maven" website. The interview was conducted, over a three-month period, by exchanging emails between us. We did a lot of tweaking of questions and answers.

In May of 2009, I began hosting my Charlie Chan Mystery Tours in downtown Honolulu.

From her website, published in 2010, please take a look-see at the interview I did with Virginia. When reading the interview, one can feel her enthusiasm for Charlie Chan. The link is listed below.

CHARLIE CHAN: Hawaii Steve and the Charlie Chan Tour (tripod.com)
https://tommenterprises.tripod.com/id147.html

It was a great pleasure working with Ms. Virginia Johnson, a "high-kicking" lady from Texas.

Aloha.

Steve

Re: Hawaii_Steve Remembers Virginia Johnson

Hawaii Steve, a wonderful tribute and memory. After seeing everyone's emails, I wish I'd known Virginia, but as you know I came along much later. What a great interview she did with you on her site. Thanks, Lou

Re: Hawaii_Steve Remembers Virginia Johnson

Dear Steve,

What a nice tribute to Virginia! She was truly a giving soul who had a unique, and infectious, outlook on life! This is what carried her through the more troubled times in her life. The following snippet you offered captures Virginia perfectly:

Steve to Virginia: "Virginia, I'll have a blue-tailed monkey with a twist of lime."
Virginia to Steve: "Coming right up. On the rocks or stirred?"

THAT was Virginia!

May you rest in peace, dear Virginia, reunited with your beloved mother and other loved ones whom you sorely missed, and whose memories - and anecdotes! - you graciously shared with me.

Sincerely,
Rush