Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Conway's Vintage Treasures - Charlie Chan

You may be already familiar with this online sales or auction house; however, this week I received an email from his site promoting none other than Detective Chan! Here's the link provided in his email:

https://www.cvtreasures.com/leading-men-charlie-chan-sherlock-holmes-c-66_79_160/?sort=20a&alpha_filter_id=0&product_listing_sorter_id=4

What is interesting though is in his email Mr. Conway talks about an item "NOT FOR SALE," held in his private collection. Here's and excerpt of his email below. (The above link has a picture of the item--a lobby card--mentioned below.)

Ever since I can remember, my favorite childhood detective was Charlie Chan. MY Dad use to watch all the Chan films on weekends in the 1960s/70s. And what a treat it is that most all Chan full length films are available today on YouTube.

So when everyone is in bed at my house, I switch over to YouTube and play some Charlie Chan classics. One of my favorite pieces in my personal collection is a VERY RARE 1931 “Black Camel” with both Warner Oland and Bela Lugosi in the scene. As far as I know it is the only on in existence. It took me about 30 years to find a lobby card from this film with both stars. .
But, after looking for so long I gave up and assumed one didn’t exist. Then about two years ago, Success!
UNQUOTE

(P.S Somehow I thought for sure Mr. Glick would have one of those :)

Re: Conway's Vintage Treasures - Charlie Chan

Definitely not the only one in existence but certainly rare.

Dear Lou,

While I doubt that the lobby card mentioned is "the only one in existence," there are not a lot of them out there. No, while I do have some nice things in my Charlie chan collection, I do not have any lobby cards from "The Black Camel." They do come at a steep price when one appears on eBay!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, Henry, thanks for the reality check. I kinda thought I'd seen them for sale (yes, at huge prices), but not as rare as Mr. Conway states. Thanks for setting the record straight!