Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Adventures of Charlie Chan - Hamlet in Flames

Dear Micael,

What a fun surprise to have your post come to us! Interestingly for me at least is that I am currently reformatting this entire website over to a new platform and have been, over the past week, going through "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan." I have found these half-hour crime dramas to be well-done, usually fast-paced (out of necessity!) little "gems" in most cases, including "A Hamlet in Flames." I will have to watch it again to focus on your grandfather's performance, which I will be able to do hopefully this evening. I would also be interested to hear of anything he may have mentioned to you about it.

You are probably correct that James Hong is probably the only surviving member of the cast of that episode. He's 90 years old now and is still very active in films, mainly in the area of voice work. I have had contact with him, as have a few others from our Charlie Chan Family group, and can tell you that he's a dynamic "character" to be sure!

Take care, thank you, and I will be getting back to you on this.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Hi Rush
Many thanks for your welcome reply.

I do agree with you that the TV episodes are 'tighter' so (as is so often the case even today) can pack that much more punch. I will check CJs autobiog to see if he mentions anything on Chan, although I don't recall - I think he makes reference to TV work generally (of which there was plenty), but anyway will let you know.

Although he only did 1x episode of Chan, you may have noticed that it was assist-directed by the famous David Tomblin - CJ starred in at least 3x other TV syndicated episodes of various kinds under DTs guidance.

If you would like the link to the CJ Archive let me know as he had quite a prolific +50 year career in theatre/movies/TV/radio; WW2 support & intel duties. He also (as you may already know) headed up the BBC Radio German Service post war from London for nearly 30-years engaged in teaching the German population to learn English via bespoke radio lessons he wrote/directed/produced/broadcast. BBC did a great celebratory blog about him in March (CJs 120th Birthday) this year as part of BBC Centenary; again can send link if interested.

Appreciate the majority of his entertainment work is not 'Chan-focused' so might not have enough interest for you but happy to share if you wish.

Ref James Hong; what I meant to say is that he is the ONLY person now still alive to have worked with CJ - aside from also being the sole Chan cast survivor. I'd be thrilled to make contact but expect that is rather a long shot.

Update later I expect - best wishes MJ

Hi Rush

I finished checking CJs autobiog and as I suspected; no mention of Chan; and very little mention of TV work - surprising; given that it afforded him nearly 90 small-screen appearances from British TVs earliest days (1946) until his sudden death in April 1974; his final recording just a few weeks before he went to the great stage in the sky.

So all I have of CJ for Chan is the download of the episode; TV credit listings and stills; including his appearance with James Hong.

Best wishes from London
MJ

Dear Michael,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I was able to watch the episode ("A Hamlet in Flames"), and focused on your grandfather's performance. I feel that his work stands up well when taken within the context of the time the "New Adventures of Charlie Chan" was produced. We need to remember that this series was produced only a dozen years after World War II ended, and within the framework of a half-hour TV crime drama, your grandfather's "stereotyped" take on the character of a former NAZI who had a man executed in order to obtain a rare treasure worked well for the audience of that era. Of course, we are so "sophisticated" today with the high quality of present-day technology-assisted productions and much more graphic scenes. If the Chan episode in question were shot today, we might imagine that the execution would probably have been shown instead of left to the viewer's imagination. There would still not be enough time to build the character of Ziegler into much more than was done in "A Hamlet in Flames," however. Today, this episode would have certainly been an hour long to allow for more development.

We need to remember that the actors, including your grandfather, in this TV drama were DIRECTED in their portrayals. But, let me say that I enjoyed Mr. Jaffe's acting as he did what he could with the Ziegler character. He did a great job of bringing the character to life as a truly evil person (some "stereotypes" are not too far off the mark!). This was definitely a clear case of good versus evil, and your grandfather did his job well in bringing it all to "life."

I enjoy watching all of the "New Adventures," just as I enjoy watching the Charlie Chan films over and over again! I think that they were well done, and in the case of the TV series, I love the actual location shooting in a number of the episodes! And, of course, they offer us a window into the era from which they come to us.

You mentioned some stills. Did your grandfather have any from the "New Adventures," perhaps from the episode that he was in?

Thank you, again, for sharing the information about your grandfather. He truly had a full and prolific life and career. He must have been a fascinating man to talk with, and I am sure he was a treasure house of wonderful stories! MUCH appreciated!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Hi Rush

Many thanks for your great insightful feedback - much appreciated. Some story-lines stand the test of time better than others; and as you say certain themes would be expanded today; given the extra on-air schedules, production techniques and audience intellect.

Also, these old TV serials certainly have fascinating cultural nuances with their various on-location scenes; especially for places that you know well to see how they have (or have not) changed over the years.

The episode images I mentioned are sadly not official PR stills or even those coveted lobby cards (and I've not been able to locate any with him in - although others exist featuring other cast members as you may know) but just my screen-grabs off the viewing screen. However, I am going to prepare something that will imitate what the image(s) would have looked like if presented as studio PR prints. How will I get these to you?

Best wishes

Michael

Hi Rush
FYI - when I've finished the pseudo lobby card image I will mail you the PDF
Best wishes
MJ

Michael, that's wonderful that you are keeping the torch lit for your Grandfather's career. I saw in addition to The New Adventures of C. Chan, he acted on some favorite TV series of my youth: One Step Beyond, Danger Man, Man on a String!

Now I'm definitely NOT the movie buff that everyone else is on this site (more a bookworm), however, I did come across this site that lists over 5000 "FORGOTTEN ACTORS":

https://forgottenactors.blogspot.com/

I quickly checked and I don't see your grandfather listed. You might want to contact the fellow who runs the site to add him.

Thank you so much, Lou

Hi Lou

Many thanks for reaching out and for your referral to 5000 forgotten Actors I will follow this through. Aside from the TV favourites you mention he appeared in over 80 TV episodes of various shows so you might find others. I have mailed you the link to the CJ Archive where you can look at his work if you wish

warm wishes - MJ