Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OUR CHARLIE CHAN FAMILY MONDAY EVENING CHAT FOR JANUARY 2, 2023: “Behind That Curtain”

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

AGAIN, PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS: charliechan.org

FROM CHARLIE CHAN: “Too soon to count chickens until eggs are in nest.” (Charlie Chan at the Circus)

WE BEGIN THE NEW YEAR with a NEW website and a NEW Chat Room as we begin this year’s journey through the entire Charlie Chan film series! Our first movie is the first effort at Fox Film to bring a Charlie Chan story to the screen. A lot of effort went into this film, BUT Charlie Chan, portrayed by E.L. Park, was still little more than an afterthought, even though he proves important at the picture’s final several minutes! A bonus is, we see Boris Karloff in a very early “talkie.”

THE NEW CHAT ROOM: We are trying out a new Chat Room (RumbleTalk) to go along with our new location. Thus far, the best I have been able to do is create a link at the bottom of our Chat Room page, so, we will have an active Chat Room…hopefully! Simply (and I hope that will be an accurate term!) go to our Chat Room page at charliechan.org, click on the “Charlie Chan Family Chat Room ENTRANCE” link at the bottom of the page, and then you may enter as a “Guest.” Our first Monday may be a bit “adventurous,“ so we will dispense with any “extras” for the upcoming week! Also, I am dubious about any of the hoped-for “bells and whistles” that may be available to us at the new Chat Room. Oh, well…all in the process of change!

If you have difficulties with anything on Monday evening, please email, and I will try to reply in hopes of helping you!

OUR FILM: “Behind That Curtain” (1929; 91 minutes)

FILM NOTES: The novel “Behind That Curtain,” by Earl Derr Biggers, was originally published serially in The Saturday Evening Post between March 31 and May 5, 1928. “Behind That Curtain,” a film in which Charlie Chan appears only at the climactic moments at the close of the picture, was later remade as Charlie Chan's Chance (1932).

FILM SUMMARY: Eve Mannering, daughter of a wealthy Englishman, marries Eric Durand, a fortune hunter, who kills the investigator hired by Eve's father to examine his past. Upon discovering the plot, Eve leaves him and joins an old family friend on a desert expedition from India to Persia. Later, fearing that she will implicate him in her affairs, Eve deserts him and travels to San Francisco.

EXTRA: As this evening’s chat will be something of an experiment, there will be no extra this week.

PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY IF POSSIBLE so that we can hopefully settle into our new Chat Room together, hopefully resolving any issues before our feature is to start at 8:15 Eastern Time!

AGAIN, OUR NEW ADDRESS IS:

charliechan.org

AS ALWAYS,WE BEGIN OUR EVENING at 7:30 Eastern Time with a 45-minute time for arrivals and greetings, and, this week, we can use this early arrival time to make sure we are able to access our new Chat Room successfully! Hopefully, any issues will be minor at worst! Then, at precisely 8:15 ET, we begin our feature film simultaneously starting our personal or online copies of this week’s feature!

Take care, and I hope to see you at our first Monday Evening Chat at our NEW LOCATION!

Sincerely,

Rush Glick