Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speaking of new Charlie Chan stories...

Recently, we have been discussing the lack of new Charlie Chan stories. Yesterday I received a text from Barnes and Noble about a new Charlie Chan book, "Charlie Chan: Cheeseburgers, Root Beer Floats and Murder" by J.T. Rathbone. A quick Internet journey indicates the author is involved in martial arts and has written some books on Tai Chi. Expect some of this flavoring in his Chan story? Here is the description from the Barnes and Noble website:

Charlie Chan Army Security Service
BOOK ONE
Cheeseburgers, Root Beer Floats & MURDER

The Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, Charlie is volunteered to become a member of the Army's new Security Service because the work he's done at home in Honolulu has been noticed by influential members of the government. He's asked to move his family to San Francisco and train a team to seek out spies and felons who do harm to the country in time of war. His team uncovers plots against a government radar installation in Moon Valley and theft on a grand scale.
When Chan's first team is murdered by a bomb, he must rebuild with volunteers most just kids like his number one Jimmy. Jimmy who since rejected as a pilot is delighted at the opportunity to become a detective and work alongside with his father. Jimmy recruits his friend from high school who is half Japanese and half Chinese and who can read and write and speak both languages. He turns out to be a brilliant young man. He helps them decode messages hidden in an underground Japanese newspaper. Together they track down a theft ring working inside the Army Transport Command misappropriating millions of dollars' worth of government supplies.

We note one apparent error right away (can anyone see it?), but I am willing to give the book a chance; after all, it IS, at least on its surface, a Charlie Chan story! Also, the "BOOK ONE" tag is interesting. Does this indicate a possible series? The cover? Oh, well...

Here is the address for more information:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/charlie-chan-cheeseburgers-root-beer-floats-and-murder-j-t-rathbone/1140155439?ean=9781668543481

So, I have ordered a copy, and I would be interested if others wish to take the plunge into what could be anything from a worthy undertaking to fodder for an undertaker...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Speaking of new Charlie Chan stories...

Rush, what a coincidence. I'm on board and just ordered a copy, too. I notice something else at the B&N site. It lists the book as the 2nd edition, though perhaps that could have been a reprint to correct some errors.

This should be interesting, and it does seem like it will stray outside the "normal" parameters of what Chan fans would expect.

Hmmm, so to the error you mentioned I'm thinking maybe it's The "Army Transportation Command?" The Army's Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) wasn't established until late 1950s or early 1960s. So with the Pearl Harbor invasion December 7th, 1941, the dates don't seem to line up. (And USTRANSCOM--a Joint Services Command--wasn't established until 1987.)

Thanks you so much, Rush. Good, bad, or ugly, we've got our first (known) Charlie Chan pastiche!

Jimmy isn’t number one son.

Thank you so much,
Henry

Ahh yes! Now I see the light. You number one, Henry. :grinning:

Lou,

Thank you for the kind reply. I am humbled by your praise. And… the book looks interesting. Not our typical Chan fare with 1920’s styling from Mr. Biggers but this new pastiche may prove interesting after all. I’ll have to pick-up a copy.

As my pop would say, Thank you so much. Or something like that!

Henry

Dear Henry,

BINGO!

And, it seems Lou uncovered a possible error of another nature. But, beyond these, let's give the book a chance. I am pleased to see a new Charlie Chan book hitting the shelves!

Sincerely,
Rush

Great to hear, you folks reading it.
After posting it on facebook last week, I was surprised to learn that nobody seems to know.
Maybe books aren't media No 1 those days :-)
I'd love to hear your thougts on that.
regards M.

Michael, Aloha. Did you author the book? I know it say Jim Rathbone, but is that a pseudonym? Have you read it yet? TXS, Lou

Lou, sorry, no, i'm not the author. And I can't be lifter of veils here.
I found the book a year ago and posted about it http://charliechan.mhoefler.de/charlie-chan-cheeseburgers-root-beer-floats-and-murder/
Back then Jim Rathbone had a facebook page (I added the link to the post). He was talking about a sequel.

I am not very familiar with facebook (registered in january) but as far as I can say, his facebook page has vanished.
So sorry. One should investigate and peek into mystery of the vanishing author ;-)

Sorry. I guess I was a bit hasty. Did a little search.
I recognized the author from his photo. Was easier than I would have thought.
Here he is: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorRathbone
But his last posting is from june 22.
regards M.