Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mr Moto

I watched and loved Mr Moto's Gamble.This was a Moto movie I had never seen. Interesting how it was going to be a Chan film. I wonder what the original script was like before it was changed into a Mr Moto movie.

Re: Mr Moto

Dear David,

Thank you! It's great that you took a look at this film! Yes, it had its beginnings as "Charlie Chan at the Ringside." The story of how Warner Oland was suffering what was surely a nervous breakdown as production began, and his walking off the set, thus curtailing the filming, is a sad one. He was going through a lot in his life at the time, including his separation from his wife, Edith, and alcohol was certainly a factor as well, possibly exacerbated by other stresses in his life.

To salvage what they could of the movie, 20th Century-Fox brought in Peter Lorre and re-tooled the film as a Mr. Moto picture. Keye Luke, who was retained as Chan's Number One Son, Lee, who is participating as a part of Moto's criminology class. I think that this would have been the same, basically, if it had been a Charlie Chan movie.

You probably noticed how "Mr. Moto's Gamble" has the unmistakable "feel" of a Chan film from beginning to end. We even hear Mr. Moto uttering "Chanisms" that were undoubtedly meant for Warner Oland's dialogue. I am pretty sure that the original script was basically unchanged, and I have no trouble picturing Warner Oland whenever we see Peter Lorre on-screen! In my opinion, "Mr. Moto's Gamble" could be considered an "almost" Charlie Chan movie!

Thank you, again, David!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Mr Moto

I fully agree. I also noticed that Lon Chaney Jr. had a bit part as a thug. This would have been a couple years before his fame as the Wolfman. All together a very interesting film.