Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A familiar aphorism in the Charlie Chan #3 comic book leads to a question!

AH! Lou!

I knew you would be able to come through with a good explanation for this small, but intriguing issue! All that you mention makes great sense, and, in the process, we have learned more about Charlie Chan's Poppa." It's interesting how the proverbial needle from the haystack can lead, in this case, to a better understanding of the haystack!

"Insignificant molehill sometime more important than conspicuous mountain." (Charlie Chan in Egypt)

Your invitation for us to read (or in my case, to re-read) the article you mentioned from our Study is well-taken. It is a wonderful piece. I also encourage anyone who is not familiar with our Study to take a look. As more articles and information come to us (and I mean to any and all of us), this can be added to the Study.

Thank you, again, Lou!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, "slowly we proceed, we advance." Also, on another note I was ELATED to find that when you click on the download link to the "COMIC BOOKS"--they actually download the entire comic!

I know this is a new feature and I really thought it would just download a copy of the cover, so I never tried it. BUT IT'S THE ENTIRE MAGAZINE OR COMIC BOOK!

If you like/permit we can feature that down the road in one of my Postman's Posts, pointing to your site of course. However, we should definitely highlight it in the 2023 Annual Newsletter!

I'm constantly amazed at how much more operable the new site is and the additional features (large and small) you've made to the family museum! Hat's off to you for that.

"Life would be a dreary waste, if there was no thing called loyalty"
(The Chinese Parrot, 1928, Chapter 2)

Lou,

The more connection with your venerable blog the better! Please do create a link such as you mention!

It was Louise who originally added the comic books to the Comics section. There is a public domain site where she accessed them. She has access to some more examples and at some point it will be great to see them join the present comics collection. I think that included will be the six issues of "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan" put out by DC in 1958.

I agree that the current site is far superior to the old platform that served us for 20 years! I can still smell the fresh paint and carpets!

Take care...thank you...

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush and Lou, it is amazing, the information you guys dig up about the immortal Chan and his creator. You both wet my appetite to read more Charlie Chan comics. Also soon I will be rereading Keeper Of The Keys. I can't wait to read the aphorism for myself. You guys really enhance the joy I get from Charlie Chan. Thank you, so much.

David, thank you. It is seriously "Tuff" keeping up with the master...Mr. Glick! :sweat: BTW, I'm rereading The Black Camel at the moment...good stuff!

A labor of love, sir...!

Regarding our SUNDAY comics, the current mystery focuses on the intrigue surrounding a baseball team and a gang with criminal intentions! Take a look!

Sincerely,
Rush

I will do that. Thank you, so much.

David, Aloha & Hau'oli Makahiki Hou (Happy New Year!) If memory serves, last year you were reading (or rereading) Keeper of the Keys...Biggers' final novel, correct? And I was re-visiting The Black Camel.

It is amazing the things one comes across when taking up these novels again and again. Matter of fact, this year I will reveal what some may consider a "stunning revelation!" However, I'm saving it for my August blog to celebrate Biggers' birthday! :thinking_face:

On Rush's recommendation, I did read "Charlie Chan's Luxury Cruise" (2022) by B. Allyn Clayton. While it won't stand up to the originals as a true pastiche, it was a fun read and a good story line.

Happy reading and good hearing from you David. Lou