Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for the Asian Versions of Charlie Chan Films.

Dear Lou,

Thank you for attempting that "long shot"! One never knows what such an attempt may lead to. One thing I DO know regarding Charlie Chan in China, is that in the early 2000s, the Chan stories by Earl Derr Biggers were republished in that country.

Thank you again for trying!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, that's rather interesting, especially being so recent! The latest U.S. editions where 2008 & 2009 by Chicago Academy Press. While they would be rather difficult to read (yuk, yuk) it would be interesting to see what the book covers, or book jackets if any, look like.

T.Y.S.M.
Lou
"Slowly we proceed we advance. All the time we run into brick wall. Then we turn about to find new path and slowly brick walls crumble."

Dear Lou,

Way back when, a gentleman from China sent me images of the covers of those books, but, sadly I lost those. However, it was a further indication to me that actual Chinese people in Chan's homeland didn't see Charlie Chan as a "negative racist stereotype." That's reserved for malcontents with a lot of time on their hands!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, I agree. And most races and countries have undergone xenophobic periods throughout history. I.e. the secret society know as "the boxers" around 1900 sought to expel all foreigners from China, during what was known as the Boxer Rebellion. Biggers detective definitely helped portray the Chinese in a more positive light to a fearful--and gullible-- general public.

T.Y.S.M. Lou

"Critics are sheep. They never lead." (Keeper of The Keys, 1932, Chapter 10)

:+1:

That's great guys. I know from what I have read, Key Luke always defended Charlie Chan, saying that at least it showed a Chinese person in a positive light, as a hero.