Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Going back to my Charlie Chan books .

Hi, David!

I think that the Old Boy will be the perfect cure for the insane world blues! Enjoy the trip through these wonderful adventures!

The new Charlie Chan book is going well. I have had to take my time as I have been pretty busy. But as things have calmed down, I can finish it off. I have to say, it has been a very worthy story, paying homage to both the Earl Derr Biggers stories as well as to the movies. It feels like a nice blending to the two. I think I can recommend it, unless the final third lets me down somehow.

The story is being related through the third person who is a prominent character in the book. While Chan has appeared a few times thus far, he will, it seems become much more "visible" as the mystery heads toward a climax. I should add that Mrs. Chan and all of the children are in the story!

I will have more to say soon...minus any spoiler, of course!

Sincerely,
Rush

David, thought I'd mention I'm doing the same. I've recently read through the first 5 books and after a pause (to reading my latest Ellery Queen Mystery magazine) will pick up the 6th, Keeper of The Keys. Really wish Biggers had written a few more stories before his untimely demise. :disappointed_relieved:

Yes. I feel the same Lou. I just can't get enough of the big boy myself.I sometimes get done with all six books and want to start all over. I also have the novelisation of Curse of the Dragon, and I have the movie on DVD. It is interesting that you mentioned Ellery Queens mystery magazine. I read quite a few Ellery Queen mysteries when I was young. I liked how the reader had all the information Ellery had. So the reader had a chance to solve it . Speaking of the fifth book, I often wonder about inspector Duff. He was almost as interesting as Charlie Chan. If Biggers had not passed when he did, perhaps he might have written an Inspector Duff series.

David, rather insightful of you--the possibility of Biggers continuing with Inspector Duff! Especially as we know he introduced him back into the fold from The Chinese Parrot. I always felt Biggers sometimes felt trapped (at least initially) within the Chan series. And writing that 5th book "Carries On" was his cunning way of actually writing a Golden Age style mystery, like others set in Britain.

As for those Ellery Queen Mystery magazines, I love them! They are, of course, no longer stories by the duo (cousins) who wrote the Ellery Queen stories, but now a series of wonderful short stories from new and old authors and touch on a range of mystery types: classics, cozies, gumshoes, police procedural, hard boiled, etc. I've become addicted.

Cheerio ole Chap!

I also subscribe to Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, and also the Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine. There are many fine short stories which make good bedtime reading. I highly recommend these magazines to all mystery fans. For newcomers, old used issues are often available on sources such as eBay.

John, thanks for that lead. I haven't read one of those in awhile! Gonna have to pick up a current copy. So many books, so little time :mantelpiece_clock: