Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan: Dark Alibi has been "riffed" on RiffTrax

I came across this website, RiffTrax.com, and they are "riffing" the Charlie Chan movie Dark Alibi. https://www.rifftrax.com/charlie-chan-dark-alibi

For those not familiar with "RiffTrax", this is a company that "produces scripted humorous commentary tracks which are synced to feature films, education shorts (mostly public domain), and television episodes".

The commentary tracks are usually juvenile in nature, but some of it is genuinely humorous. I have mixed feelings about their using a Charlie Chan film for this. On one hand, it could be seen as disrespectful, on the other hand, often a movie with a RiffTrax "following" tends to attract renewed interest in the film that's the subject of the "riffing".

I have not paid the $10.99 they charge to watch their commemeted version of the movie, but I did see the free trailer on the link above.

Any thoughts?

Re: Charlie Chan: Dark Alibi has been "riffed" on RiffTrax

Dear THX,

Interesting. I took a look at the preview and was not impressed to say the least. First, I found it mired in PC "humor" which is always set on bringing down anything that does not fit the current "enlightened" crowd, who have been trying to kill off Charlie Chan for more than two decades now. The "narrator" seemed to find his own dialogue cute and hilarious.

Telling was the following which is posted regarding the "featured" film: "Something you should know:
Rated PG for smoking and 1940s racial stereotypes."

In all, this will interest people who know nothing of Charlie Chan except what their college professors have told them to believe.

I would humbly suggest that the $10.99 could be better spent on on a down payment on a lobotomy.

Thank you for sharing this very revealing attempt at humor, and a poor attempt at mimicking "Mystery Science Theater 3000"...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Charlie Chan: Dark Alibi has been "riffed" on RiffTrax

I watched the trailer and have to say...booooring! It's distracting in my humble O. Personally, I'll take watching the film without the comments. TXS, Lou