Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Our November 2023 Poll

... Other than the obvious ones (health, family, etc.) when it comes to all things Chan I'll go in chronological order with:

1.) Channel 44 out of Wilkes Barre, PA (where a 12 year old me watched Charlie Chan at the Opera {first time I saw any Chan movie} which started it all for me).

2.) Key Video for releasing several of the Chan's on VHS.

3.) Kurt Schmidt's website where I discovered a bunch of other kindred spirits and where I was able to supplement my years of Charlie Chan collecting and information with so much more.

4.) Rush Glick's site (same reasons as Kurt's).

5.) 20th Century Fox and all the others for FINALLY releasing all of their Chan's on DVD.

6.) Rush and all of the others on this site who keep the Charlie Chan phenomenon alive and well into the 21st century.

Thank You So Much,
Henry

Dear Henry,

Thank you...in a couple of ways! Your list is similar to my personal one, but, in order to create a poll, it was necessary to come up with a few relating to our generalized group experience.

Besides some of yours which you already mentioned, Henry...

Probably at the top of my personal list would be my venerable wife's extreme patience with my Charlie Chan passion!

The wonderful people I have met, and actually befriended, over the years.

The fact that our Chat Room has survived for more than two decades.

How AMC, FMC, and TCM provided opportunities to watch...and record...Charlie Chan films until they bowed to PC pressure groups.

The final release of ALL non-lost Charlie Chan films on DVD. (I'll sort of repeat that one!)

If anyone else would like to express themselves similarly here, at this message thread, please feel free to do so!

Thank you, again, Henry!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush,

Oh my God! Your reply reminded me of two other things that I didn’t remember (don’t tell my wife) so let me re order my list!

1.) my long suffering wife who inherited my passion for Chan when she said “I do!” Little did she know at the time!

And somewhere in the order, the once venerable AMC which used to show classics and had the guts to (at that time) show the classic Chan movies. Same with FMC (before they bowed to PC pressure and what we now call cancel culture). Of course TCM as well These channels brought a whole new group of Chan Fans to the ranks.

Again, a huge thank you to you for all you have done to give us all a home for all things Chan.

Henry (who may also be number one son in marital dog house).

:wink:

Great, lists and shared by many I'm sure! And while I say my blessing this Thanksgiving (at a restaurant first time every,) here are a few I will also silently mention in thanksgiving:

- Participating in Hawaii Steve's Earl Derr Biggers 2-day birthday bash, 2010, Honolulu, and meeting Rush Glick (face-to-face), who was also there to participate.

- Dinner at Murphy's pub with Steve, then walking the very streets and ally ways of Honolulu's Chinatown to discover and discuss the locations in the six Chan novels.

- Author Barbara Gregorich, who mentored and encouraged me to write and finally publish my collection of the original aphorisms inside the Chan novels.

- The Charlie Chan Family and The Message Board; both, together inspired me to start my blog The Postman on Holiday.