Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Book, "Death, I Said: A Charlie Chan Mystery"

I now have the book and am in the process of reading it. So far it seems like a VERY worthy Charlie Chan mystery!

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush, I agree. I finished it yesterday and it is spot on as far as being a pastiche on Biggers' novels. For those looking for something more aligned to Biggers' Chan novels, it's a hit. I think it's marvelous!

Perhaps not the same flowery prose equal to Biggers, but it does a **** good job and no slapstick aphorisms :).

Dear Lou,

Thank you! As our resident Earl Derr Biggers guru, your approval is gold! I will work my way through the book as fast as I can. Oh, those nagging interruptions!

Sincerely,
Rush

Lou and Rush, My copy arrives this evening. Hopefully it is as good as you guys say it is. Truly looking forward to a story that can capture the essence of Biggers' originals.

Henry

Sorry for the late follow-up. I finished reading the book in about a day. It is certainly a quick and enjoyable read. It isn't a bad story but it really seemed like it was just a vehicle to name drop characters from previous Bigger's Chan books. As such I hope that Mr. Swann will continue on with other Chan stories and more fully develop the characters as this was a very good first effort. He certainly left us with a final hook that could be turned into its own story line as a continuation of the Chan canon.

Thank you so much,
Henry

Henry, well put. I DID think the first part could have been a bit stronger. However, it gained momentum after awhile (in my opinion.) And once I picked up on who-was-who at the College, I enjoyed it more. It will be hard for ANYONE to match Biggers writing. I believe Mr. Swann has another book coming out next year. As you say, hopefully, his stories will improve with each one. Nice feedback. T.Y.S.M.