Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keye Luke as Kato

I'm not a Green Hornet maven, but it's my understanding that Kato was "just" a courageous, capable companion and helper to G.H., and who indeed had as a primary duty driving the B.B.

For a variety of reasons, the TV production was glad to hyper-up the martial arts fisticuffs (karate was the discipline of the day, I recall) and it makes a kind of entertainment-business sense to take any Asian character and have him kick and eat noodles. This aspect was later spoofed occasionally when Asian-genetic characters in a comedy would be expected to kick a bad guy and say "What you talkin' 'bout?"

I have no argument with the TV Kato, really. What bothered me more were the "plastic" masks; they looked plastic anyway. And naturally I expected cloth masks like the "real" GH and K. Similar to the Batman of the TV show having the masky-part of his cowl formed of a stiff material and even having what in a cartoon drawing would have been ink lines painted in with white paint. Sort of jarring, and ever-present as TV shows show the the face a lot.

I'll tell you what the Bruce Lee Kato being a karate expert makes me think of: The Charlie Chan character in "Murder by Death" immediately chucking his Charlie Chan suit and putting on a Fu Manchu "gown" and cloth cap! it's okay--but WHY?

Maurelius