Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: New CC Chanthology

Hi Sandy,
Many people on the Chan boards have been burned by Jeffrey AB. He has been shut down several times and can no longer sell his products on ebay. Rush purchased some very inexpensive Chan dvds from the UK and seems very happy with them. In fact I just realized that I copied a quote of Rush's as follows:

The best deal that I have found thus far comes courtesy of Old Time Radio U.K. (http://oldtimeradiouk.playntradeonline.com) where you can purchase the ENTIRE Charlie Chan series (minus the "lost" films, of course, but "Eran Trece," the Spanish language version of the lost "Charlie Chan carries On" and the pre-series "Behind That Curtain" are included) for only $140! This comes to just $3.33 per movie, and the postage - from England - is FREE! There are 42 films compiled three to a disk on 14 disks. I have found the quality to be very good, overall, easily matching, at least, and in a number of cases, surpassing the quality of Charlie chan movies that I have purchased from other dealers. There have been a couple of flaws, including the darkness of "Shadows Over Chinatown" and a couple of instances of audio difficulties, but these I discount due to the very reasonable price of the set. . . . We are not trying to promote an particular seller or sellers here a the Charlie Chan family Home. Rather, out goal is to allow as many persons as possible the opportunity to collect, and thus watch, Charlie chan movies at reasonable prices.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Sandy, I had just paid over $400 for my set before the UK set was "discovered, " so this is a really great deal! ~Mrs. P

Re: Re: Re: Re: New CC Chanthology

Hi Sandy,

Yes, JeffreyAB is persona non grata in Chan land. Poor product and arrogant seller. Fortunately I never bought his product, but I read his many self aggrandizing posts on the other Chan board.

I have heard uniformly positive comments about the UK seller. However, please realize that these are not commercial quality DVDs and are not licensed by the studio. I don't have a problem with that, just pointing it out so you don't think you're getting something you're not. Andy (the seller) seems like a nice guy, and he's responded to my e-mail inquiries promptly and honestly.

I do encourage everyone to buy the Chanthology though. These are bona fide, legitimate DVDs issued by the rights holder. I've read that the advance copies sent to reviewers ("screeners") look fantastic. We need this to sell for two reasons:

a) make Fox look even more foolish for not releasing their films

b) incenticize Warner Brothers to release the 11 Monograms that they control so that we can finally have decent copies of them

At $45 - $48 per set, these are quite affordable and are actually cheaper per unit than what many grey market sellers sell theirs for.

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CC Chanthology

Great post, Steve! Yes, Sandy, what Steve said!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CC Chanthology

My thanks to everyone of you for your good advice and information. I think y'all are swell!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CC Chanthology

Sandy,

If you are still reading this thread, I'll throw my two cents in as well.

1) Of course, what everyone has said about Jeffrey is 100% accurate. Definitely a "no-no" for any of us here.

2) There has, unfortunately, been other Chan dvd sellers that haven't panned out well for certain folks either, so be very careful and selective.

3) Like Rush and others, I can vouch for the England sets from Andy. They are, by far, the best deal going. You will pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per movie with most of the other Chan sellers on the internet. Don't get me wrong, some of them are great people (I've dealt with a couple myself), it's just that to the best of my knowledge there is very little difference in the quality they offer versus what Andy in England offers.

As Steve stated, none of them can offer you a great quality product (other than a studio like WB or Fox), so my personal suggestion is to go with the least expensive set you can find. And that is definitely going to be Andy's.

4) As Rush and others have said, I'd strongly encourage everyone to support the CHANTHOLOGY that is coming out. It could mean the difference between more Chans on dvd in the future or none at all in the future!

Gary

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CC Chanthology

Dear Gary,

Well said, sir! The best recommendation for ANY seller is good old "word of mouth." And I, as have you and others, encourage EVERYONE to consider purchasing the "Charlie Chan Chanthology" set that MGM Home Entertainment will be releasing on July 6.

Sincerely,
Rush