Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Chan Conundrum

*views script*

Uh, could someone translate this for me?

Re: A Chan Conundrum

Dear Virginia,

Yes, you are correct. The silent Chan films are also missing. When the four "lost" Chans are mentioned, what is really meant is that these are the SERIES films that are missing. The Charlie Chan SERIES, of course, began with "Charlie Chan Carries On," when Warner Oland took on the title role, which, unlike the previous personifications, immediately captured the movie-going public's imagination and led to more and more films.

It would be interesting to see these "other" lost Chans. However, I believe that we would ultimately be a bit disappointed with the way Charlie Chan was actually little more than a supporting character in these first movies. To get a feeling for what one of these early efforts was like, may I suggest reading "Charlie Chan's Number One Movie," which can be found in the "Charlie Chan" section of our Study. This article contains a synopsis of the ten-chapter serial, "The House Without a Key," filmed in 1926.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: A Chan Conundrum

Rush,
Thanks again!
Virginia