Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
You are correct, Steve O.

At our last Chat evening, Steve O. mentioned that he had heard or read somewhere that J. Edward Bromberg, who played newspaper editor Murdock in our film for that evening, "Charlie Chan on Broadway," was one of the many who had tried out for the role of Charlie Chan following Warner Oland's passing. It rang a bell for yours truly, but not a very loud one. So, with the help of Howard Berlin's "Charlie Chan Encyclopedia," I can tell everyone that Steve was and is correct!

Good work, Steve!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: You are correct, Steve O.

I, for one, am not surprised! This would be a great opportunity for me to thank Steve for all the wonderful help he has provided me since I've been e-Channing. Thanks Steve for all the great info, links to articles, updates on new releases and links to places to buy them. I have benefitted over and over from your wealth of knowledge and your generosity to share it. This morning Virginia posted congratulations to Rush and Marie on their anniversary on the Message Board from the other side of the island. She comments on their wonderful relationship. I wholeheartedly agree and must add that is one of the many things I also appreciate about Steve and all the people who frequent the Chan boards, their obvious dedication to their spouses and families.

TYSM!
~Mrs. P

Re: Re: You are correct, Steve O.

I will certainly echo those sentiments voiced by
Mrs.P , Sreve...you have often been a source of great
Info for me...Like steering me to John Betancourts
Mystery Board for example..and most recently the correct chronolgy of the Torchy Blane films [that was just yesterday folk's] concise Information...
Courteous Corrections The VERY few times I had my Info
wrong...LOL ...but seriously you're a good friend and
I just wanted to say "thanks"

Re: you guys are too kind

(blushing immensely)

Thanks to Rush, Mrs. P and Mike for the very kind words and thoughts. I think the finest people can be found in these parts and I am humbled to be in the presence of such kind people who have a passion for not only Charlie Chan, but for being all around good people. Believe me, after a stressful day at work, it's very refreshing to be able to spend some time with the good people that frequent this community. The truth is, Rush has probably forgotten more the rest of us will ever know about Chan.

It was indeed Howard's book where I read the Bromberg story. I had read in another book "Saturday Afternoon at the Bijou" (well worth looking for) that Leo Carillo (Poncho on the Cisco Kid) and Noah Beery Sr. also did screen tests.

Mike, this book is where I got my Torchy Blane chronology. Each chapter covers a different classic series and provides interesting antedoctal information. I had read about Torchy Blane over 20 years ago but had never seen a Torchy movie until about a year ago. Thanks to TCM, I have them all

Steve